• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems getting Crucial Ballistix 6400 to post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmsanders2

Here's the story and my efforts (question at bottom)

I have 2X1 of this at stock clocks, 711 speed, 2.0volts, never had a problem.

Recently obtained another 2X1, threw them in and obtained a hang on POST 49 (related to memory checking). Troubleshooting began.

Changed the existing memory and put them in the other slots, works no problem so I know all slots work. Upped the voltage to stock 2.2, removed all memory and put one of the new sticks into the first slot. This hung on a post C1 http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=93 relating to spd value loss?, graphics card error, dimm slot damage, or overclocking issue. I did notice my gpu fan runs at 100% during this c1 post. Took out the tried new stick and replaced with the other new stick, same problem.

I took off all cpu overclock and upped the ram timings to 5-5-5-18, retried both sticks individually and have the same exact c1 post.

I know the gpu works (stock overclock), am on the latest bios, and all dimm slots work.

Questions: 1) Is there anything else I'm overlooking to troubleshoot?
2) Is it common to have two bad sticks? A friend thinks this is highly unlikely and I am probably doing something wrong.
3) Comparing the two sticks, they are different revisions with different heatspreader configurations (old sticks BL12864AA804.16FD3, new BL12864AA804.8FE5). This is a long shot, but any known problems/ differences with the new revs?

Thanks guys for all your help in this matter.

yea 1 bad stick in a set is ok but 2 would be kinda weird.

are then new from etailer? reseller?

I cant think of anything as far as trouble shooting. as long as the vddim is stock and timings is stock should work have you tried load defaults with old sticks then put new ones in. the bios could be remembering the old sticks and therefore reading the new sticks wrong I wouldn't see this to be happening if there the same sets.

yea 1 bad stick in a set is ok but 2 would be kinda weird.

are then new from etailer? reseller?

I cant think of anything as far as trouble shooting. as long as the vddim is stock and timings is stock should work have you tried load defaults with old sticks then put new ones in. the bios could be remembering the old sticks and therefore reading the new sticks wrong I wouldn't see this to be happening if there the same sets.

I think they were from newegg, will check with my friend tomorrow who gave them to me. They are the same exact sticks just a different rev it looks like. Tomorrow, I'll try clearing the cmos and running the sticks again in different combinations. Maybe the bios just isn't recognizing the new ram.

only had it happen that way to me once or twice but some boards are fishy like that I guess.

np.

Back