• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid questions .. Has anyone ever considered a team merge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

This topic might just be considered blasphemous , but what the hell..

Has anyone considered approaching another teaming about merging teams? Being overclockers, I could see merging with OC.UK right off the bat. We naturally have something in common

Heck if that were to happen our combined RAC would be 3-4th in the world.

things to make you go hmmm

svirf

Hmm.. as bad as this sounds, but I would be very unhappy if we merged with OCUK, or anyother group for that matter. I have a strong sense of family (as silly as it sounds) with Overclockers.com, and Id rather turn people to the darkside than join forces with someone else.

Besides, wasnt that pretty much what SETI.USA did?

Hmm.. as bad as this sounds, but I would be very unhappy if we merged with OCUK, or anyother group for that matter. I have a strong sense of family (as silly as it sounds) with Overclockers.com, and Id rather turn people to the darkside than join forces with someone else.

Besides, wasnt that pretty much what SETI.USA did?

Agreed.

As good of an idea as this sounds, it just wouldn't feel right. plus, the ONLY thing it would accomplish would be the new ranking our team would have.

PLUS, it feels great knowing that we are so high up on the ranking list, yet have a smaller member count ( with credit ) than a lot of other teams that are below us in the ranks.

i'v been crunching seti since for overclockers.com since the day i joined. ( back before boinc! man...i kinda miss Seti Classic. just because of nostalgic reasons. ) Hell, my very first post at OCforums.com was here in the seti section. This place feels like home to me. and crunching for Overclockers.com just feels right. i don't post in this section nearly as often as i used to, but i always check this section for news, new information, client updates, and optimizer updates.

and you will probably see many other crunchers in this section agree with me and Careface. That while it sounds like a good idea...it just wouldn't feel right with most of us.

I've thought about the same thing - merging with OcUK. But they have a pretty long tradition over there (as do we!) and doubt they would want to merge. And if I'm seeing this right there are like 3-4 UK SETI groups - OcUK is just one of them! :eek: I'd think if they wanted to merge it would be with one of them.

But from a couple of things I've read over there they are having some of the same issues as us. Many of their past SETI producers have moved to F@H or other BOINC projects, so it's certainly worth consideration and discussion. We might also want to consider OcAU as well if we're going to go that route. Wouldn't that be something? All three OC sites joining up (if possible) under "OcTheWorld!" or something. :D

On the flip side, the sense of on-line community might get lost in the process. I joined the SETI team here because (1) I had crunched SETI in the past and believe in the SETI mission, and (2) I found so much help and similar interests on this site I wanted to participate more and SETI was a good way to spread our name around as (IMO) the best OC site on the Net! :)

Joining forces with our OC buddies around the world would help our stats but I'm not sure what it might do to us. I'll willingly go with whatever we decide but right now (and I've thought about this before) I'm about 65/35 against ...

Last edited:
Let me be very clear on this point: Our team welcomes participants from any team/country/nationality/gender/planet.

At the same time our team is in no danger of slowing down or dying, and as such we do not seek any mergers nor takeovers.

If we wanted to be #1 we could have easily joined the #1 team. Personally I'd rather work our way to that slot and actually earn it.

I crunch for this team because it is the Seti team for for these forums, not some conglomeration of several fora. I see no need for this team to merge with anyone; IMO it just shows how truly talented we are with what we can do without outside help. I'm afraid that if something like this would happen, the Seti forum for the combined team would go offsite which I wouldn't ever support. My DC projects are done for these forums only. ;)

JOIN WITH SOMEONE ELSE? OCUK? WTF, George Washington would roll over in his Grave if we did that. George Patton would really be ****ed too! just knowing that Monty got over on him again!!!

Unlike some other people (read: everybody), I would be all for a team merge. I crunch SETI for the sport, and the more people there are, the more challenging it is.

Unlike some other people (read: everybody), I would be all for a team merge. I crunch SETI for the sport, and the more people there are, the more challenging it is.

Except for the word 'merge' I can agree with you.

How about making a recruiting effort as a method of acquiring more people? I've got my parents, inlaws, and friends crunching for our team.

I've tried multiple times to borg my friends :bang head If I could get them then I would be up there with you! I would have 4 6400s and 3 or 4 P4s 2.6+. I managed to borg a P4 2.8 for a while, but he does reformats every month or so, so that didn't last long.

Any tips on borging would be much appreciated!

In any case, it doesn't matter to me how we acquire new members to crunch with us. Whether we steal our friends comps, or merge with another team, It's all just more competition for me.

That's just how I feel about all of this.

All the machines on my account are owned by me except that I have 2 of my friends that crunch for me with 3 machines. One friend is crunching for me with an Opty 170 rig and the other has a C2D laptop he just put on and his desktop rig (which isn't working for whatever reason).

Back