• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H service only on one core....help plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sam__

Hey. Im trying to get F@H to run as a service on both cores so they start automaticaly on windows load but it only works for one core.
Im using the text clients. I've been through the config and said "yes" when asked if i want to start it as a service. Also set the machine IDs to 1 and 2 for each one.
but after opening taskmgr the cpus only at 50% with one instance of it running.

help please.
thanks

Are you running the SMP client or the regular client? I assume by text client you mean regular client based on your post but I want to make sure.

If you are using the regular text clients, go into the Registry Editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet and look for the FAH service entries. There should be two of them, and both should have "-local" at the end of the ImagePath strings. This will instruct the client to save its work files to each individual FAH folder, instead of a central location. This is assuming you can run two separate clients as a service, you may not be able to, I've never tried it before. :p

im running regular as far as i know lol..

there is only one entry for F@H.... i changed the ending of the image path to -local i ill see what happens

im running regular as far as i know lol..

there is only one entry for F@H.... i changed the ending of the image path to -local i ill see what happens

Hmm, try exporting that FAH registry entry, then open that exported registry entry in a text editor and change the title of the key (the first area in brackets) so that it refers to the folder that your second FAH client is sitting in. It's easiest if you've name your respective FAH folders something like FAH1 and FAH2 and place them in the same parent folder, then all you'd have to change is that one number. Then save it, and import it into the registry. Upon reopening regedit you should have two FAH entries in there, expand this new one and change the ImagePath to refer to your second FAH folder (FAH2 or whatever).

EDIT: I'm looking at my Tualatin that has the FAH service entry installed and there's two other areas that you'll want to rename in the exported registry file as well, they are for the Enum and Security subkeys. I just tried this export/import business myself, rebooted, my system didn't blow up, and both services showed up in Administrative Tools...so this should work just dandy. Please make a backup of your registry before you do this though. Good luck. :beer:

Last edited:
I don't recommend exporting the registry keys. If FAH is set up correctly, the key for the second instance will be there. Do this:

Each instance has to be in a seperate directory, /Program Files/FAH/FAH1 and Program Files/FAH/FAH2, for example. Run "C:/Program Files/FAH/FAH1/FAH50x-Console.exe" -configonly (or whatever the path is to the first FAH executable) select run as a service (if it's already running as a service, the question will be remove the service), Use IE settings and Use proxy should be answered no. Accept WU > 5MB should be answered yes if you have > 512 MB memory and want bonus WUs. Answer yes to change advanced settings, change checkpoints to 30 if you're going to run 24/7 and rarely reboot. Machine ID should be set to one. Now do the same thing except run the executable in .../FAH2 and in the advanced options change Machine ID to 2. Now use regedit to navigate to the FAH registry keys and on the ImagePath key add -verbosity 9 -forceasm -local to each of the two keys. Start the services by running services.msc.

Note:
In version 5.04, you have the option to report the available memory to the assignment server. As a rule, I report no more than 1/2 the physical memory for each instance on a dual core.
In going thru the davanced options ABSOLUTELY DO NOT answer deadlineless WUs as yes. There haven't been any deadlinless WUs in almost two years and you'll get no work at all.

I don't recommend exporting the registry keys. If FAH is set up correctly, the key for the second instance will be there. Do this:

Each instance has to be in a seperate directory, /Program Files/FAH/FAH1 and Program Files/FAH/FAH2, for example. Run "C:/Program Files/FAH/FAH1/FAH50x-Console.exe" -configonly (or whatever the path is to the first FAH executable) select run as a service (if it's already running as a service, the question will be remove the service), Use IE settings and Use proxy should be answered no. Accept WU > 5MB should be answered yes if you have > 512 MB memory and want bonus WUs. Answer yes to change advanced settings, change checkpoints to 30 if you're going to run 24/7 and rarely reboot. Machine ID should be set to one. Now do the same thing except run the executable in .../FAH2 and in the advanced options change Machine ID to 2. Now use regedit to navigate to the FAH registry keys and on the ImagePath key add -verbosity 9 -forceasm -local to each of the two keys. Start the services by running services.msc.

Note:
In version 5.04, you have the option to report the available memory to the assignment server. As a rule, I report no more than 1/2 the physical memory for each instance on a dual core.
In going thru the davanced options ABSOLUTELY DO NOT answer deadlineless WUs as yes. There haven't been any deadlinless WUs in almost two years and you'll get no work at all.

I did all that and theres still only one service and it cant start. comes up with an error.
"error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fasion."

help :confused: lol.

I did all that and theres still only one service and it cant start. comes up with an error.
"error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fasion."

help :confused: lol.

Hey Sam. Before I stick my foot in my mouth giving you bad advice, can you post up the first 20 lines of your FAHlog.txt file for the version that was running? I really need to KNOW what client you were running.

Also, would you copy your client.cfg file contents (it's very short), as well. Then I can see what can/can't be salvaged here.

I'll be dropping by frequently for the next several hours.

the FAH log:

--- Opening Log file [January 31 16:09:48]

# Windows Console Edition #####################################################
###############################################################################

Folding@Home Client Version 5.04beta

http://folding.stanford.edu

Launch directory: C:\F@H
Executable: C:\F@H\FAH504-Console.exe

[16:09:48] Configuring Folding@Home...

[16:10:25] - Ask before connecting: No
[16:10:25] - User name: sam__ (Team 32)
[16:10:25] - User ID: 3167817A3E4EA1A1
[16:10:25] - Machine ID: 1
[16:10:25]
[16:10:25] Work directory not found. Creating...
[16:10:25] Could not open work queue, generating new queue...
[16:10:25] + Benchmarking ...
[16:10:27] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[16:10:27] + Attempting to get work packet
[16:10:27] - Connecting to assignment server
[16:10:28] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.111).
[16:10:28] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[16:10:28] Loaded queue successfully.
[16:10:29] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
[16:10:29] (Got status 503)
[16:10:29] + Could not connect to Work Server
[16:10:29] - Error: Attempt #1 to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[16:10:43] + Attempting to get work packet
[16:10:43] - Connecting to assignment server
[16:10:44] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.111).
[16:10:44] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[16:10:44] Loaded queue successfully.
[16:10:56] + Closed connections
[16:10:56]
[16:10:56] + Processing work unit
[16:10:56] Core required: FahCore_81.exe
[16:10:56] Core not found.
[16:10:56] - Core is not present or corrupted.
[16:10:56] - Attempting to download new core...
[16:10:56] + Downloading new core: FahCore_81.exe
[16:10:58] + 10240 bytes downloaded

client.cfg

[settings]
username=sam__
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
[settings]
username=sam__
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
memory=2048

this is taken from the first F@H directory.

Your install is trash, Sam. :cry:

The version you posted is not installed as a service, and has either been moved to another directory, or it's config file has been edited badly, or both.
[settings]
username=sam__
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
[settings]
username=sam__
team=32
asknet=no
machineid=1

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[clienttype]
memory=2048

Note the repeated sections [settings], etc., in the file. That would confuse any program. :)

Please delete all the FAH files, including the work file.
F@H may be an ok directory name, but I recall when it wasn't ok, and maybe the client does, as well. Would you rename that directory something like Fold or something that does not contain an asterisk in the name. Let me know what you chose for that.

Then we'll try to get a good NON service install, to do some work for us! (I know you want a service install - hey! Give me a minute, here! :D :D :D)

Your install is trash, Sam. :cry:

The version you posted is not installed as a service, and has either been moved to another directory, or it's config file has been edited badly, or both.

Note the repeated sections [settings], etc., in the file. That would confuse any program. :)

Please delete all the FAH files, including the work file.
F@H may be an ok directory name, but I recall when it wasn't ok, and maybe the client does, as well. Would you rename that directory something like Fold or something that does not contain an asterisk in the name. Let me know what you chose for that.

Then we'll try to get a good NON service install, to do some work for us! (I know you want a service install - hey! Give me a minute, here! :D :D :D)

lol...i think the that was some bad pasting by me..soz.

I'll change the folder names to fold1 and fold 2 and delete all the files n start all over again n see what happens.

I don't believe that will work, Sam. We need to remove the service install, so the new FAH client will get installed cleanly.

I'll post this, and edit some more onto it, in a bit.

When you first start up a new 5.04 FAH client, it will look and see if you have a previous install of 5.04 as a service. Seeing that, it asks you, straight away if you want to have the service install removed?

Answer Y or Yes, and then the work of removing the registry entries (that matter anyway), is done for you.

Check Start >> Control Panel >> Administration >> Services, and see if your services really are all gone, AFTER you reboot!

Let me know. :)

Last edited:
IT WORKED!!! yey....cpu is at 100% now....seems like it doesnt like the folder being called F@H ...only the F@H2 folder was working. changed the names as above and they'r fine.

Great, Sam. That was easier than I thought it was going to be. They just overwrote the previous service install, I guess.

Very nice! :)

Glad to hear its working properly for you Sam. Happy Folding :beer:

Back