• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

st6 and pci 1/4 divider

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxicool

Registered
hello,
i'm a french overclocker and I don't find help on the french's forums for my problem.

I have a ST6-raid and a Celeron Tualatin 1,2 ghz.
I can use it at 125 FSB but only if I use 1/3 pci divider (so, too high for my HDD : 125/3 = 41,66).

If I choose pci divider 1/4 in the bios, the pc don't boot and freeze... I must clear cmos to continue !!!
I'm afraid : is the pci divider 1/4 really OK on the st6 ?

Is there any hint to use this 1/4 divider ?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
(sorry for my poor english)

maxicool said:
hello,
i'm a french overclocker and I don't find help on the french's forums for my problem.

I have a ST6-raid and a Celeron Tualatin 1,2 ghz.
I can use it at 125 FSB but only if I use 1/3 pci divider (so, too high for my HDD : 125/3 = 41,66).

If I choose pci divider 1/4 in the bios, the pc don't boot and freeze... I must clear cmos to continue !!!
I'm afraid : is the pci divider 1/4 really OK on the st6 ?

Is there any hint to use this 1/4 divider ?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
(sorry for my poor english)

Hmmm, I am using the ST6 and a 31MHz PCI speed is just fine. I am also running a 125MHz bus speed. Can you up the vcore higher and try it at 133FSB?

Give some system specs and we may be able to help you. HDD may not like those fsb's too which would be weird or maybe your AGP card at 62MHz. I would say try and get more hurtz out of your fsb. Ironically though most st6's I have heard of could hit 125/4 = PCI FSB just fine. Mine does! I am also not running a raid setup, that may be where your problem lies. I have heard of some problems with that. Are you running a raid array?????? If you aren't then maybe disable raid! That may help. i have heard of this problem before over at the Hardforum. It was a problem only with the raid board, the normal ST6's had no problems. If you can get your FSB above 133 or disable the raid then your problems should maybe go away. I am almost positive it is the raid controller.

Thanks for your help...

So, my system specs are :

Enermax 350 watts + RhéoBus
Titan 12x12 + Sunon 8x8
Abit ST6 Raid
Celeron Tualatin 1200
Watercooling Noky
256 Mo PC133 Cas 222 5/7 (PQI)
256 Mo PC133 Cas 222 5/7 (Micron)
ATI Radeon VIVO 64 mo DDR 183/183
Sound Blaster Live 1024 Player
DD WD - 40 Go - 7200 tm - UDMA100
CDROM Toshiba (IDE) XM-6702B
CDROM Plextor (SCSI) PX-40TSi
GRAVEUR Plextor (SCSI) PX-R820Ti
SCSI Symbios Logic (U-Scsi)
Scanner Agfa 600 (SCSI)
Modem Speed Touch USB
Miro PCTV BT848
3COM 3C905C-TX-M 10/100
Altec Lansing ACS-33
Ecran 19' Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920
Epson Stylus Color 600
Microsoft Wheel Force Feedback
Microsoft Sidewinder Pro
Logitech Desktop Cordless Itouch

I use Windows XP, I don't use Raid but I dont know if it is disabled or not in the bios. I see at every boot that the MB look if the raid is use or not.
I will see it tomorrow.
Good night.

What is your opinion ?

maxicool said:
Thanks for your help...

So, my system specs are :

Enermax 350 watts + RhéoBus
Titan 12x12 + Sunon 8x8
Abit ST6 Raid
Celeron Tualatin 1200
Watercooling Noky
256 Mo PC133 Cas 222 5/7 (PQI)
256 Mo PC133 Cas 222 5/7 (Micron)
ATI Radeon VIVO 64 mo DDR 183/183
Sound Blaster Live 1024 Player
DD WD - 40 Go - 7200 tm - UDMA100
CDROM Toshiba (IDE) XM-6702B
CDROM Plextor (SCSI) PX-40TSi
GRAVEUR Plextor (SCSI) PX-R820Ti
SCSI Symbios Logic (U-Scsi)
Scanner Agfa 600 (SCSI)
Modem Speed Touch USB
Miro PCTV BT848
3COM 3C905C-TX-M 10/100
Altec Lansing ACS-33
Ecran 19' Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 920
Epson Stylus Color 600
Microsoft Wheel Force Feedback
Microsoft Sidewinder Pro
Logitech Desktop Cordless Itouch

I use Windows XP, I don't use Raid but I dont know if it is disabled or not in the bios. I see at every boot that the MB look if the raid is use or not.
I will see it tomorrow.
Good night.

What is your opinion ?

It sounds like your raid controller is enabled. Disable it and then try it.

I hope its not the raid controller causing the problem. I want to get the ST6-R and will use raid. Damn, just when I thought I had my MB choice....

Hello

so, I have disable Raid in the bios (and audio too, because I have a Sound Blaster) but I have the same problem...

With Raid disable, I have try FSB126 and Pci divider 1/4 = nothing, no signal on the monitor ! I must clear cmos to continue .
I don't understand why !
I have 2 friends in France who have the same problem...

My Bios is the "6A69RA1RC-63" from 25 october 2001.

What can I do to use 1/4 pci divider ? :(

Have you got another video card you could try? Preferably an NVidia based one....Some video cards don't like the low AGP bus speeds provoded by an 'unsupported' FSB speed causing the dividers to drop the AGP bus speed too low. NVidia cards seem to cope best with out of spec AGP bus speeds....I've had mine running at 50 mhz with a 1/5th divider at 150 mhz....

Hello
I can try with a old Creative Geforce1 DDR, that I use with my second config....

The 1/4 PCI below 133 FSB seems to be a somewhat unique feature on some 815 boards. This is out of left field, but are we sure that featue actually works? Does the 815 chipset support it?

oldfart said:
The 1/4 PCI below 133 FSB seems to be a somewhat unique feature on some 815 boards. This is out of left field, but are we sure that featue actually works? Does the 815 chipset support it?

You joking right?

What part of I am running my chip at 125FSB with 1/4 dividers don't you understand on my ST6?

The problem is with the raid boards! The non raid boards do not have that problem!

I have not had a raid version of the st6 so I cannot truly give advice about it but I remember this problem before and it was with the ST6-R. No sense in calling me a liar:mad: Unless of course you want to pi** me off!

Once again this problem is with the ST6r boards.

That's really strange as i'm tipping they're exactly the same board....One just has the raid chip and possibly a few more EIDE sockets and the other dosen't....You can probably see where the sockets and chip are soldered on the non raid board!

I don't use an st-6 so I can't give much more advice than I have....Just keep trying dude!

Hey ol'man....Who called you a liar?

Flu!d said:
That's really strange as i'm tipping they're exactly the same board....One just has the raid chip and possibly a few more EIDE sockets and the other dosen't....You can probably see where the sockets and chip are soldered on the non raid board!

I don't use an st-6 so I can't give much more advice than I have....Just keep trying dude!

Hey ol'man....Who called you a liar?

Well when someone questions what I just said above it is a good sign they don't beleive what I said.

Check this below pic, do you believe I can run a 132FSB without 1/4 dividers? It is possible but not likely. That would give me a 44MHz PCI. I am not running a 44pci as this board allows 1/4 dividers under 133fsb once again people!

Yeah I had to disable the l2 cache to get it to go at 132fsb but that does nto affect the PCI settings at all.

hi i have the ST6 also but not the raid version, and i have a very similar problem.

using a celeron 600 on a ASUS CUV4X it ran at 855MHz 95FSB and 1/3 pci divider.

now on the ST6 when ever i choose 1/3 pci div the computer dosn't boot nothing, but yet i can run at 855MHz with 1/2 pci divider (but after loading bios it currupts my HDD)

should we email abit and tell them to fix the bug with a new bios?

or is it a faulty board? i'm thinking that if you put in a 66FSB cpu you can't boot with any other pci div other than standard, if you use a 1.2GHz at 100FSB with 1/3 pci you can only use 1/3 pci.

maxicool can you do the following?

underclock your 1.2G celery to say 66-96FSB with 1/2 pci and see if it will boot?

Uhm...I don't think it's a problem with the RAID boards. I've actually been running mine at FSBs of 120-126 with the 1/4th divider. And yes...when I first tried the setup, it would either not post or give me the whining alternating high low beep. What I figured out, though, was that if I could change the SoftMenu to 133 and 4:4:1...boom, that works. Reboot, THEN change it to desired lower FSB, then 4:4:1. Boom, no problems.

In any case, I don't think that this is a problem with the RAID boards. Mine works fine...

Sklathill said:
Uhm...I don't think it's a problem with the RAID boards. I've actually been running mine at FSBs of 120-126 with the 1/4th divider. And yes...when I first tried the setup, it would either not post or give me the whining alternating high low beep. What I figured out, though, was that if I could change the SoftMenu to 133 and 4:4:1...boom, that works. Reboot, THEN change it to desired lower FSB, then 4:4:1. Boom, no problems.

In any case, I don't think that this is a problem with the RAID boards. Mine works fine...

My ST6 is being RMAed for the exact problem. Up to 133 and below, using 1/4 dividers, it wouldn't boot to windows. Using 1/3 dividers though, it would go, but I'm running way out of spec. This problem wasn't consistently apparent before either. A bios hack should fix it if there's one available.

Hope this thing becomes a sticky; won't be the last to have this problem.

:p

There are two annoyances I have with my ST6-RAID. One is the three reboot solution to the 1/4 divider problem (as in from old speed, reboot, set to 133:4:4:1, reboot, set to <133:4:4:1, reboot). The other is that even with the newest BIOS, it STILL dies when a bad fan is connected.

My Enermax 350 Whisper has faulty RPM monitoring. Going into Windows and watching MBM, it will report numbers like 0 and 423819 RPM. Going into the BIOS, I might get a blank screen, a screen with a solid blue line (text mode) on the bottom, or it will freeze on whatever menu in the bios I'm lucky enough to reach before it dies thanks to RPM monitoring.

This can be fixed in the bios...at least on other boards, like my friend's Epox, which had a similar problem with a previous bios.

Good board, but annoyances like these are enough to make me think about getting a Shutle AE25R or an Iwill DVD266RN next (Something with onboard RAID, basically...)

yeah i get that siren like beeping, never heard a beep like this before, i may rma mine also but still trying some things

Back