• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

on the stock heatsink fan for th Q6600 (G0), is it supposed to kick in when it hits a certain temp>? sometimes it spins sometimes it spins for a sec and stops and repeats. seems like when im under load it spins. Is their a way I can enable it to spin all the time? (the cpu fan) cuz im idling at 45 c stock everything.

today also i pulled up coretemp and my temps were at 72 degrees celcius and then the fan kicked in and they started going down. it was weird. Im getting watercooling soon anyways.

What is considered "dangerous" for the cpu to run at?

Go into the BIOS and disable Q-Fan Control. This will let your fan run at full speed all the time. And there is some debate about the correct temp readings and what exactly they mean.

Z

Last edited:
Thats what I was looking for ^ well im getting watercooling soon so it doesn't matter much anyway but I was just wondering. Thanks!

Glad I could help. Im debating a water cooler but I'm a poor boy. lol Afraid of frying stuff I can't afford to replace. hehehe

Z

What is considered "dangerous" for the cpu to run at?

Assuming Tjmax=100*C:
I'd say immediate danger would be around 100*C+, but the CPU is designed to shut down before that happens. Running at 90*C 24/7 might shorten the life span of the CPU to the point you might notice it. Running 80*C or below, and I'd guess you'd be onto your next CPU before you had any problems.

*Disclaimer: This is based on all my readings, and hasn't been tested by me by any means. So, basically, I just pulled it out of my a$$! :beer:

Back