• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

13.4 in 06 w/ GTS 320mb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

So I have been contemplating a new video card and decided to run 3dmark06 just so I have a number to reference my PC with. I was not expecting much but was suprised when I broke 13k with specs in sig. I ran it twice just to make sure it wasnt a goof ball run.

Considering that 3870s seem to be getting less than 13k they are pretty much out the window. g92s seems to be getting 15k which is more, but does not seem enough. And ultras are out of my price range. Or maybe I am relying on 06 scores too much.

It looks like I get to ride this card a little bit longer unless I am missing something in these newer cards.

--pak

its weird ppl buy hardware just to get higher numbers in benchmarks :) well i guess not, but still... yeah 8800gts 53mb :)

I don't understand. You have a decent video card. Why upgrade just to get 2k more marks? just so you can say you did. It is about performance, not a number.

I am not trying to bag on you. Sorry if you took what I said the wrong way

I sold my 320 in favor of a 512 8800GT (it's coming in today :santa:). If your only benchmarking than it is a waist of money to get the new GPU, but if you actually play enough games to justify spending another 100 dollars (that is if you , like me, sell your card on ebay for 150). Otherwise, the 8800GTS is a fine video card.

No offense taken. That is why I post, to hear your opinions.

I'm not looking to upgrade just to get numbers, but I am using the numbers as something to go off of.

After re-reading my post right now I realized I did not really put a question in it. But I guess my question is, is the g92 worth while upgrade? Looking at 06 scores, it doesn't seem so. But maybe im putting too much value into 06.

--pak

No offense taken. That is why I post, to hear your opinions.

I'm not looking to upgrade just to get numbers, but I am using the numbers as something to go off of.

After re-reading my post right now I realized I did not really put a question in it. But I guess my question is, is the g92 worth while upgrade? Looking at 06 scores, it doesn't seem so. But maybe im putting too much value into 06.

--pak

I upgraded from a GTS320MB and it was a good thing too, now playing Crysis at absurdly high tweaked settings (So high infact that it sometimes surpasses the 512MB, 700MB read in Rivatuner) [and gives me 0 fps for a little bit while the code backs down the framesize], and with the capability for an insanely high volt mod this 8800GT is going to keep me good until another games comes out that forces me to upgrade because it's not on High settings :)
It's hard to complain when you max out (almost) every game at 1600x1200. Crysis and Oblivion don't count ;)

Since I was playing at 1600x1200 the 320MB extremely limited what settings I could play in Crysis and gave me lower fps in CoD4 which should be an indicator for upcoming games that use lots and lots of textures.

Prices shouldn't change very much, so I would suggest that you sit tight and see what the 9series has to offer when it eventually gets rolled out.

I don't regret my purchase, but you should ask yourself if you really need to spend another $100 to upgrade or not right now.

If yo ualready have an 8 series card. I don' tthink you are going to see tha tbig of a jump in framerates going to a g92 core card. Personally, I would wait a little whiel if I were you for the 9 series cards and the g100 core. Then it would actually be worht it spending $250+ on a new gpu.

I have the XFX XXX GTS 320 over clocked to 615 on the core.... I have played Crysis to the end of the single player and online with med quality setting at 10280x1024 on my 19' LCD. I also play CoD4...again I have finished the single player and play online all the time, this game plays fine with everything maxed out...Looking at all of the video cards out there I dont see anything worth upgrading to right now. Yeah the G92 based GTS and GT cards are great and if I did not already own an 8800 series card I would want one....but for 1280x1024 gaming I cant see any real benefit to another upgrade right now....

If yo ualready have an 8 series card. I don' tthink you are going to see tha tbig of a jump in framerates going to a g92 core card. Personally, I would wait a little whiel if I were you for the 9 series cards and the g100 core. Then it would actually be worht it spending $250+ on a new gpu.

I agree with Jas on this one.

But the 15k score is pretty accurate, I can get mid 13000s with a C2D, with a Q6600 I'd easily be mid 15000s with my 8800GT.

Back