• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CD/M2 Vs. Contrast Ratio. Gaming Monitor Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tall_Dallas

Ok,
With the dropping prices on wide-screens, I've finally come to push myself into buying a 22" wide-screen.
I have to buy two because god forbid that I get something which is better than what the wife has on her box :bang head

Anyway.

22" Wide-screen for Gaming.
(WOW, UT3, and various FPS games)

I have the hardware to push the 60 MHz and beyond. So that's not an issue.

My concerns are this.

What would be a good minimum contrast ratio and CD/M2?

From what I gather, I would probably be pleased with a 700:1 Ratio and 300 cd/m2 and my min Refresh is 5ms.

I can grab one for around $250-$350 depending on make, model, etc.

The biggest issue I am coming up with is the vertical viewing angle.

We would sit quite close to the monitors. probably 2' to 3'.

My concern is that we get a monitor that then has darker tops, bottoms and sides requiring us to either be unhappy or rearrange our entire physical setup.

I have looked at the Samsung 226BW and feel that it would be a good fit.
I've read a few reviews that bash the vertical viewing angle.

does anyone have a recommendation other than the samsung? or can you rest my fears on the 226BW's viewing angle?

Taking any and all constructive comments.

Thanks!

dell 2008wfp ? 20.1 @ 1680x1050 :) viewing angle is great ive had no problems with the ones i have used.

I've looked at a few 20" monitors.
I'm a little hesitant to drop 2"

I look at it as "If I'm going to spend almost what a 22" costs, why not just drop a price jump and just get a 19". The 20" isn't much more viewable for the price."

Back