• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 behaving extremely oddly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeadMG

I have:
Q6600 (G0)
800MHz DDR2 RAM (6-5-5-9 at 800MHz)
8800 GT
Antec 900 case
Standard Intel heatsink (was going to use ACFP7, but out of stock)
Asus P5KC (P35 chipset, supports 45nm procs and DDR3 RAM)

So my temperatures were low and I decided to do a little overclocking. After reading on the Internet how various overclockers could achieve 3.2GHz+ on this kind of system, I was pretty confident. Bought a magazine (www.custompc.co.uk) with a guide in. First time overclocking.

I upped my FSB to 300MHz (from 266) and locked the PCIe bus at 100MHz and changed the RAM frequency to 600MHz effective. It crashes (which is normal). What is shocking is that I had to go up to about 1.4V to get it stable again, and even that was only good for two hours of Orthos and 60 celcius.

Using CPU-Z, it appears my Core voltage is well under 1.25V, even though the BIOS setting (and my temperatures) reflect much more than that. I can't even get to 3GHz without going over a 1.5V setting and about 75 degrees.

After seeing reports of 3.2GHz on 1.325V, I can believe that, if my vCore would actually go that high, instead of being Vdrooped by more than 0.2V. Have I just got this wrong in what I am expecting from my system, or is there some setting that will solve my issues?

Been getting some nasty artifacts when gaming on my measly unstable 2.88GHz (more stable than the 3GHz at least) so I have turned it off for now.

I'm having similar issues, however I can run prime 95 for 6+ hours at 2916mhz (324 x 9). Core voltage is stock, DRAM voltage is at 2.2.

For some reason my FSB is having trouble going anything over 330. I am on a stock cooler for now, but just ordered a Tuniq Tower. Temps at my current setting are:

Idle: 29c
Full-Load: 45c

My specs are:

Q6600 G0 Stepping
Abit IP35 Pro
4gb Patriot Viper DDR2
XFX 8600GT
500gb WD HD

Also, my ram is rated at 4-4-4-12, but will not run these settings except on stock bus speeds. As of now my ram is running 5-5-5-12.

Any suggestions? I'm just looking to hit 3ghz stable.

cpuz is reading the actuall voltage the cpu is seeing. what you set in bios is not what the cpu actually sees. like with my celeron-L cpu, on my ip35-pro i set it to 1.29 and cpus say/urugu to tells me im at 1.34. go figure actually higher then whats in bios...

your running a quad and yea if you want 3ghz you need right around 1.35volt actual. unless you get a cpu that just needs way more, use easytune to get a read out of the cpu voltage, it will be the closest you can get without using a DMM.

things that can also affect quad core ocing are
CPUGTL%
CPUVTT
you will have to up your NB votlage as the cpu voltage is derived from the NB voltage aka MCH.

keep a 20c buffer from your load temp to the TJ you see in coretemp. for testing your cpu clocks 1:1 is the way to go. that is unless you had another machine your ram came from and you know it can go higher.

Aye, but the real question is how to get my vcore actually up that high instead of it being vdrooped by ridiculous amounts (without doing anything to void warranty like pencil mods)

that not vdroop your seeing.. thats not even close to vdroop... vdroop is the difference of idle core voltage to load core voltage...
if you want the cpu to have more voltage up it more in the bios...

2T.
Vdroop then is about 0.1V, and the difference between BIOS setting and load is 0.25V. I could probably get a very good overclock, but the temperatures and BIOS setting are really getting out of hand.

Last edited:
you need a better hs then i think, the stock hs can quickly get overwhelmed by the heat of the quad, i barely could oc mine at all with it.
i have my vcore at 1.54 in BIOS but it never sees more than 1.48-1.49 according to cpuz, even less under load
as far as ive read the chips are rated to 1.5

I have:
Q6600 (G0)
800MHz DDR2 RAM (6-5-5-9 at 800MHz)
8800 GT
Antec 900 case
Standard Intel heatsink (was going to use ACFP7, but out of stock)
Asus P5KC (P35 chipset, supports 45nm procs and DDR3 RAM)

So my temperatures were low and I decided to do a little overclocking. After reading on the Internet how various overclockers could achieve 3.2GHz+ on this kind of system, I was pretty confident. Bought a magazine (www.custompc.co.uk) with a guide in. First time overclocking.

I upped my FSB to 300MHz (from 266) and locked the PCIe bus at 100MHz and changed the RAM frequency to 600MHz effective. It crashes (which is normal). What is shocking is that I had to go up to about 1.4V to get it stable again, and even that was only good for two hours of Orthos and 60 celcius.

Using CPU-Z, it appears my Core voltage is well under 1.25V, even though the BIOS setting (and my temperatures) reflect much more than that. I can't even get to 3GHz without going over a 1.5V setting and about 75 degrees.

After seeing reports of 3.2GHz on 1.325V, I can believe that, if my vCore would actually go that high, instead of being Vdrooped by more than 0.2V. Have I just got this wrong in what I am expecting from my system, or is there some setting that will solve my issues?

Been getting some nasty artifacts when gaming on my measly unstable 2.88GHz (more stable than the 3GHz at least) so I have turned it off for now.

Artifacts, then likely the motherboard is failing to lock the PCI-E or your PSU isn't enough for your video card.

Which video card do you have?

8800 GT(as mentioned in the post you quoted :p). The PSU is 700W but no make I ever heard of.
To be honest, I got a couple of artifacts without it, but it got worse.

Back