• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up an FTP server on OS X Leopard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eoffler

Registered
Hello everyone,
I am new to the whole FTP file sharing over the internet scene. I was looking for about 2 hours about a practical solution to set up an FTP server on my OS X Leopard box (Client version, not Server). I am in a dorm and it would be a practical way of sharing files without all the hassle of going around knocking on doors and such.

Rumpus FTP server is a little pricey for my taste, and I have seen on lifehacker and such that it might be possible to set up an FTP server that can be added to/downloaded from from the internet using OS X's built in tools.

Any help setting me on the right track to setting up an FTP on OS X would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Wait- you mentioned that you want to set up an FTP server, but you mentioned "Client version, not Server"? I'm a bit confused by your question.

Assuming you're looking to host an FTP server on your system, I'd recommend Vsftpd. Free, fairly easy to setup, and secure provided you disable anonymous logins. I use it on my *nix installs.

Edit: You may need to find a ported version for OSX.

For an ftp client FileZilla isn't bad despite the stupid name.

Last edited:
Hey grumperfish,

You seem to know your stuff about *nix systems, would you mind explaining how one would install your solution on OS X?

^^^
Uhh that's why I posted the ported link.

(AKA I have no idea how to make it work in OSX). :beer:

Edit: Unless your post was intended as sarcasm... then yeah my post was pretty dumb in retrospect.

Last edited:
I got it working and all, but that is a really good app for an ftp server.

as for my comment, I was referring to OS X Client Version, and OS X Server version.

^^^
Uhh that's why I posted the ported link.

(AKA I have no idea how to make it work in OSX). :beer:

Edit: Unless your post was intended as sarcasm... then yeah my post was pretty dumb in retrospect.

When I open your link it shows me a bunch of what looks like some type of code. Does OS X have a built in compiler? Is the command to compile still g++ <insert file name here> ?(I'm shooting in the dark here, so i wouldn't be surprised if i was way off.)

When I open your link it shows me a bunch of what looks like some type of code. Does OS X have a built in compiler? Is the command to compile still g++ <insert file name here> ?(I'm shooting in the dark here, so i wouldn't be surprised if i was way off.)
I'm not sure how OSX works with compiling - I was trying to offer some (albeit ill-advised) advice on an app I've used with success. I think it does have a built in compiler but I'm not familiar with its commands.

However Cheator's recommendation was more appropriate and easier to use. Didn't know OSX had a built-in FTP server (this is actually useful to me as I've been trying to help a friend with filesharing on his macbook).

Hi, I use AnyClient when I need file transfer. It is a free platform independent file transfer application that supports all major file transfer protocols including FTP/S, SFTP and WebDAV/S. AnyClient is available both as a web based service requiring no software installation, and as a downloadable application that you can install locally. Hope this will help you.
All the best!

:mad:

Back