• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shim, buying, guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I couldn't tell ya as I don't use'em. Seen too many threads about folks killin' procs with improper installation, poor construction etc.
But I'll give ya a bump and maybe someone else will point ya in the right direction :D

I'd suggest an anodized aluminum shim for whatever CPU you've got. They're not electrically conductive but still pretty thermally conductive.

Just shims in general, like how thick it should be, you know, things that I should expect in a good quality shim

Iamghey said:
Just shims in general, like how thick it should be, you know, things that I should expect in a good quality shim

Well, it needs to be made for your CPU first of all, of course. That'll ensure that it's the correct thickness. Everything else is up to you.

Evevrything you need to know about shims can be found Here and a nice thread about them can be found Here

Last edited:
Shim

:eek: I have researched the issue of Shims and found that "Mica" shims are the best. I am running one on my AMD 1400 T-bird.

Re: Shim

izzyreal said:
:eek: I have researched the issue of Shims and found that "Mica" shims are the best. I am running one on my AMD 1400 T-bird.

I agree. I was going to use anodized aluminum but I neoprened the package of my CPU so I ripped the rubber corner pads off and covered all but the core with thin neoprene so I don't need a shim. Depending on the type of anodizing finish and it's thickness, anodized aluminum may still conduct electricity. Mica is what I'd guess to be a good material too. Plycon Computers sells them on their shim page, check it out...

Somebody on the Intel side had a thread about making their own using tape. Non-conductive, and you have the thickness of the tape to adjust the depth of your shim. I think it may have been ol' man, but you can do a search.

Tape??

Wondered if Lutawicasa Meant regular Tape or Thermal tape? Seems that Thermal tape would make an excellent shim to dissapate extra heat but is it Conductive? It would be stuck to the cpu and hard to get off if needed. And would take a little work to get it on right..... Hmmmm might try this one.:burn: :burn: :burn:

just get a non conductive shim from a reputable website for the processor you have. It should be fine. Shims don't help dissapate heat, or rather shouldn't. They should only help(you still can) keep you from crushing the core and leveling out a heatsink(can be a problem with Intel CPUs). I don't really won't anything radiating heat back into my CPU although anything solid I put there will, the non-conductive ones do this though a lot less than the copper ones.

DEATH TO SHIMS!

There's been many improper installations, Get a Glaciator II, Full Copper..

If you have a ASUS A7A266, There's problems with the Glaciator not fitting on the motherboard.

Re: Tape??

izzyreal said:
Wondered if Lutawicasa Meant regular Tape or Thermal tape? Seems that Thermal tape would make an excellent shim to dissapate extra heat but is it Conductive? It would be stuck to the cpu and hard to get off if needed. And would take a little work to get it on right..... Hmmmm might try this one.:burn: :burn: :burn:

Regular packaging tape. Ol' man mentions it in This thread.

I dont recon a shims a good idea either.

If your carefull installing your heatsink (you should be anyway) then you dont need one.

Back