• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was my SeaSonic 550w PSU DOA?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XxShadowWolfxX

Registered
I ordered a Seasonic S12 PSU from the egg last week but when I got it it didn't power on. :(

Although I don't have a motherboard to power yet (in the middle of my first build), I hooked it up to a regular wall socket and hooked up some case fans to the 4-pin molexes. However, when flipping on the power switch on the PSU, the fans did not turn on, and the PSU fan didn't spin at all either.

I'm wondering, was this DOA? Because I just sent it back to Newegg for an exchange. Hope the next one works

Is this a common problem with PSU's? I'm extremely new to building and need to know. Thanks

This isn't an AT PSU...

the switch does not control the on/off just the power going in..

You need to jump the green and black wires on the 24pin connector to get the PSU to come on.

Welcome to the forums!

An ATX PSU needs a signal from the mainboard to power on, or to have the green wire shorted to a black wire at the mainboard connector. It won't turn on just by plugging it in and flipping the switch.

Your Seasonic was most likely ok... the next one should behave the same way.

Back