• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shuttin off problems... WinME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

Hey guys! I have WinME and started having problems shutting comp off. When I choose turn off it exits windows, shows a blank screen and hangs. If I turn it off/reset it will scandisk me, as Windows was not properly shutdown!! WTF?? It restarts fine but won't turn off my comp.
I heard I have to download some patch, I couldn't find it, did a windows update, didn't help, I'm lost. HELP ME PLEASE

Any suggestions?

it does it to me too, but i have found that if you clear all your programs out before shutting down that it will not hang as often [hardly ever does it now] either clean out your start up menu in msconfig or Ctrl- Alt- Del and shut down most programs there i leave system tray and explorer. with C-A-D and with msconfig i just run system tray and scan reg and any other program that you absolutely need.

Do u upgrade from win98 to ME? and do u have HP scanjet?
if so please read the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...106&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|5411827

Do u have any anti-virus program if so please read link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...106&iterationID=1&sessionID=anonymous|5411827

If none of the above not apply to you.
please give some more detail about what major program you have and hardware includinig printer, scanner... and so on.
This will help on finding solution for you.

:burn:

I dont have printer or any anti virus and i run with a clean format and fresh install, but i will gladly take all the help i can get :) my only hardware is a 3com hardware modem. I did notice with the fresh install\format that it changed the amount of times it shutsdown improperly but as long as i let programs clear i'm fine.

I only have HP 600 deskjet. that's all, I didn't upgrade, format/reinstall. I'm only run F@H but it doesn't bother my Duron, it has same windoes ver. & installation and same NIC. I really don't know how to describe my problem in more detail except, just b4 it turns off the computers power it just doesn't do anything, just sits there with blank screen and running fans/drives
the screen isn't off so there is still video

Been there, done that... oh.... I guess reinstall is in the near future... :eek:

Back