• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SLI setup, need some feedback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spatula

Registered
I just upgraded my 8800GTS 640MB to 2x8800GT 512MB in SLI. I am currently getting 16269 in 3dmark06 with my new setup with the rig in my sig. That's with stock settings on the GPUs. When I ran my old setup I only got 8418 in 3dmark06, but that was with my CPU running at stock speeds, not the 3.685GHz that its running at currently. When I ran my SLI system at stock CPU speeds I got 11537 3dmarks. I want to be sure that my system was in fact bottlenecking at the CPU prior to OCing it, and that I'm not just seeing an increase in scores because my CPU clock is higher, I want to know for sure that SLI is configured properly. SLI seems to be enabled properly in the NVIDIA control panel, and games like Crysis are running much smoother, but I thought I'd get some input from the forums.

sounds good to me. if the control panel says shes good... most the time it is...

overclocking the g92 in SLi via rivatuner is a whole nother beast altogether.

Alright here is another question I pose to the forums. My corsair PSU that I bought recently shipped without PCIe power cables. They're on there way to me, but in the mean time I've just been using the adapters that ship with every GPU. Well I've noticed some issues in 3dmark06.

When I have GPU's using two power connectors from the same strand my score is significantly lower than when I have each PCIe adapter connector connected to its own individual strand from the PSU. I'm no PSU expert, but does this imply that there is not enough power on an individual rail to supply my cards, and the load needs to be spread about among a few different rails?

Also when my CPU was at stock settings and I was getting low 3dmark scores I made it so each connector was pulling from its own individual strand and it made no difference in 3dmark until I OCed my CPU, but now with an OCed CPU and the cards pulling from only a couple different strands I get low 3dmarks again.

I know this probably isn't worded the best, but if you guys could give some feedback, does this sound like what you might expect to happen? I'm going to reconfigure the power cables again and see if I can't get the results I had before.

Also one more question. In ntune if you go to 3d settings, you can select SLI performance mode, which is the best option to have selected here?

Ok just redid all the cables to the way they were when I got my high scores, and it still isn't working, so it must be something else.

I've reset everything I can think of back to the way it was last night when I was getting 16K in 3dmark06, but I'm still stuck in the 11K region. Also I ran crysis and I'm only averaging somewhere between 20-30fps with the very high mod settings for win XP, I was getting at least 35-40fps last night. Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Alright, Nvidia released some new drivers yesterday apparently (171.16) so I uninstalled ntune, and the old drivers, ran driver cleaner, and installed the new drivers and it went back to its old ways. I must have tried three different drivers yesterday, but the job got done eventually. Also I was over at the SLI Zone forums, and all those dudes seem to get real upset whenever someone asks a question, so it made me glad to be a part of this community since people actually treat you respectfully. Just thought I'd add that.

Back