• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Budget Dual-Core

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Proto

Registered
To tie me over till tax returns.

Asus Maximus Formula
G.Skill 4GB DDR2-1000

I got backstabbed by my job around two months ago, left me with over 500 dollars worth of equipment that's just waiting for a CPU. I don't wanna throw my P4 in to it because it's not gonna benefit me at all.

The only game I play is Counter-Strike Source.

i would say the dual core celly untill you get your tax money for somthing better.

I heard that CS:S is more CPU than GPU intensive, but a E2XXX should be enough. Is this going with the setup is your sig?

Yeah. I was looking at the E2xxxs, I'm just afraid the 1MB cache won't be worth the wasted money. But I suppose they're better than nothing. It's either the E2200 or the Dual Celly

thx
I heard that CS:S is more CPU than GPU intensive, but a E2XXX should be enough. Is this going with the setup is your sig?

Yeah it is.

You shouldn't need to get the e2200. I'd say the e2160 would be a good buy because it is the sweet spot for multiplier and price, a 9x multi is enough to push any 65nm C2D to the CPUs max without extreme cooling and gives enough wiggle room so that you aren't testing the limits of the mobo. The Celeron dual core is hampered in games by the smaller cache, and although the e2160 is 25% higher price it's only ~$18 more I'd say it's worth it unless you would be swapping it very soon, if so save up for the e8400 as in your sig :p Those are Newegg prices too you may be able to do better elsewhere.

if ya got the money go E2160. i had one that got a 100% oc. it was a big slow pos but what do you want for a budget cpu? if you cant aford it pick up a dual core celly and oc the liveing crap out of it.

I don't know how tight the budget is but a E6550 is a full featured chip that will more than suit your needs. Add about 10 dollars U.S. and get the E6750.

Z

I'd vote for the e2160. That thing OC's a ton and the cache isn't half bad either.

AMD has Duel Cores that are a lot less in terms of money than Intel's, and yet aren't nearly as good in terms of quality. But if you can go with a 4000+, then I suggest you go for it, as it is cheap and provides 2GHZ a core. If you oc it, you can probably get up to 2.5ish max depending on cooling, psu, and motherboard. Problem is that AMD processors have low caches which means that the 4000+ is going to run slower regardless of how much you OC it.

In terms of intel duel cores, go with any duel core from the 6000 series. They're all good. If you're just going to be using your computer for basic internet purposes, as well as some CS gaming, you should be fine with an older duel core. Don't expect Crysis though, so if you have a change of heart, you're going to have to pump out some extra dough.

are we talking about the same cs:s thats ages old and will run on computers 8 yrs old using valves brilliant engine that was designed to run on the biggest heaps of computers? that cs:s right?

Yeah, I don't think CCS:S is anything that a good ol Pentium D can't handle since that game is so ancient.

my xp2800+/9800pro ran cs:s flawlessly if that says anything :D hell that setup ran tf2 smoothly as well. <3 valve

Last edited:
if the guy is waiting for his tax return why a E2xxx? i dont get it guys.. after looking at the numbers from 1mb down to 512kb. dont show that much of a hit in fps unless he is running 1024x768, which i highly dought. savin money is still savin money reguardless if the E2140 is only $16 more then the E1200. both oc to the same speed if he is just gonna upgrade in a month or so after tax return, why spend it?

i took more a hit in fps on a 8800GTS going from a [email protected] to the Celeron-L [email protected]. the extra core helps, but my fps range in a loaded server, min fps is 85 with setting on HIGH,no HDR,no aa,no af. my low fps with the dually was in the 150's,same settings.

Well does he plan on selling the CPU after or keeping it as a replacement? The E2XXX will have more resale but for a lil pos back up cpu i would just get the celly and say $16

i call it how i see it but were not going to get into this dabate. It oc's but its still a pos that oc's ment for people who dont wanna drop the beans on a good cpu. Its not a new amazeing cpu that clocks higher than outhers. Just a further cruppled E2XXX series.

But back on topic. I had a E2160 running a 100%oc and that thing felt slugish and slow when compaired to my Q6600 and E8400 running at the same clocks. I predict the celly will be pretty much the same so i would just save the $16 and wait untill you get your money to get a cpu. After you get that E8400 or somthing better you gonna say why did i even buy that pos cpu lol....thats what i did with that E2160 but i bought it just to oc then gave it to my buddy who was running a 1.8ghz sempron.

AMD has Duel Cores that are a lot less in terms of money than Intel's, and yet aren't nearly as good in terms of quality. But if you can go with a 4000+, then I suggest you go for it, as it is cheap and provides 2GHZ a core. If you oc it, you can probably get up to 2.5ish max depending on cooling, psu, and motherboard. Problem is that AMD processors have low caches which means that the 4000+ is going to run slower regardless of how much you OC it.

In terms of intel duel cores, go with any duel core from the 6000 series. They're all good. If you're just going to be using your computer for basic internet purposes, as well as some CS gaming, you should be fine with an older duel core. Don't expect Crysis though, so if you have a change of heart, you're going to have to pump out some extra dough.

he already has a 775 mobo, so AMD is out of the question,

cheapest AMD dual core:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+ Socket AM2 CPU ADO3600IAA4CU, 2.0 GHz, 512KB L2

$48

INTEL Pentium Dual-Core E2140 1.60Ghz,FSB800MHz 1M LGA775 BX80557E2140 CPU Retail ***Free Shipping***

$73.50

close, but for the extra $20 i would go pentium dual core, but it isnt c2.

or

INTEL Celeron Dual Core 1.60 GHz 800 MHz 775 512KB Desktop Processor Retail ***Free Shipping***

$58

Back