• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Capture Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

Ok, I have been giving my best attempt at capturing video with my onboard Nvidia capture. I have to say it looks ok for normal video, but for animation, it is awful. The colors aren't even close to what they should be.

I was looking at video capture cards, and was wondering, which would be the best for ~$70 US? I'm mostly looking for TV-Tuner, stereo sound, and quality capture. I don't care about what formats it will capture to, because I will probably be using Virtualdub to do that work.

The ones I have seen so far are Hauppauge, ATI, and some other strange company. BTW, I'm running XP.

Hi supraway,
Personally I'm using a Pinnacle Studio PcTV with TV tuner, teletext and video capture, take a look here for more info.

I hope it helps you ;)

Stay far, far away from the ATI. The drivers are terrible. My roommate had one and he ended up scrapping it for the Hauppauge which he's happy with now. (+ it works in XP) The capture quality is pretty nice, we've been recording some shows then burning them to sVCDs.

Darn, I wish i would have known that before I got mine for the holidays. Well I guess I will try and take it back and get the Hauppage TV one. Thanks for the info

I have heard very good things about the ATI TV Wonder VE model, drivers have been released for XP and there are no problems from what I have read.

I could not find one so I bought the hauppauge Win Tv Go card, model 191that allowes you to watch tv on your pc but it also can capture video. I have yet to install, I got it for $50 canadian ($33 US ) on boxing day at www.futureshop.ca

Can anyone give me feedback on this card at all, I expect for the price I did okay considering what it will do!!
Cisco Kid:D

I use the ati radeon 8500DV on my second machine and it works flawlessly in XP, the software bundle is awesome as well. the pinnacle cards are definitely good cards, worth considering. I use StudioDV for editing, as well as Photoshop 6.0

;) Hey guys... I´m thinking about buying a tv tuner card, and I´d like to know if it´s possible and how is it done, to set a pci tvtuner card plus a main agp card to the 2d/3d graphics... I´ve never done that.... Pehaps some of you are doing it right now.... So...?
Thanks in advance

@crilicM@n said:
;) Hey guys... I´m thinking about buying a tv tuner card, and I´d like to know if it´s possible and how is it done, to set a pci tvtuner card plus a main agp card to the 2d/3d graphics... I´ve never done that.... Pehaps some of you are doing it right now.... So...?
Thanks in advance

There's nothing really to it. It's very much the same as adding any hardware to the computer. Just put it in and install the drivers. The AGP card will still handle 2d/3d and using a software program (I like VirtualDub) you can capture stuff using your TV-Tuner/Capture Card

Yep, but...

Yeah, you´re right, match with the info I collected until now, but, it must be a just "tuner-tv-/capture" card only... I was going to buy a cheap ATI all in wonder and intended to use that with a main 2d-3d graphics card, If I do that, I´d need another monitor to watch tv the output signal on the card rear (as other said to me in this Forum), so , what I really need is some acessory tv card/capture, to do exaclty what you just said... Here, some samples of the toys I must buy: http://store.yahoo.com/uricom-com/vidcapedcar.html

Thanks for the answer...!
:)
(Nothing like studing what you are going to buy before making a bad :mad: buy!)

Zuck Gou :) said:

There's nothing really to it. It's very much the same as adding any hardware to the computer. Just put it in and install the drivers. The AGP card will still handle 2d/3d and using a software program (I like VirtualDub) you can capture stuff using your TV-Tuner/Capture Card

Re: ati here

Oh yeah, that´s exactly what I need and was searching the web... Hre´s the cheapest I found among those who ship international (there are other cheaper of course).

So is you that´s going to answer my final question!!!

The TVWonder VE, just needs to put in the pci slot, end poit?
Don´t need to plug an output from it to the main card input (what would require a vivo feature in the main...) (I hope not, and think so...)

And... Does it accept the remote control for ati to... (Less important).. I like that feature that makes the back wall paper being TV :p

Humberto Hepp

ToTalXS said:
I currently use the ATI TVWonder VE and it works fine for me...I can capture from TV and from video camera......it seems to run just fine and I have never had any problems with it...peace

happauge Win tv tuner card will do ya fine

I bought a Happauge Wint TV tuner card and it meets my needs, capturing video from my camcorder to pc and editing it as well as being able to watch TV on my PC but since I have gone to Satellite and I only have one reciever I can only see the same station the TV is tuned into.

Cisco KId

I myself have a video editing card. I use the ATI all in wonder 32mb card... This card isn't so bad... But its not got for agp tho it captures really nice it does have some bugs on win2k, and i imagine for xp also but those bugs are fixable all you have to do is look for the right patch. and yes i do use vdub and tmpegnc.

If u want reccomendations for a card, i'd say avoid the agp cards with built in tuner! firewire cards are the best try to avoid the ones that use ISA slot (expensive cards sometimes worth it but no room for overclocking) i'd say spend 150 - 300 bux on a non real time card that will do some good quality and leave little room for overclocking. Firewire isn't good overclocker for what i have heard. My ati aiw gives me a little bit more room for overclocking, the pci latency on that card has its limits... atleast 160FSB+ on ddr sys hope this helps

Re: Re: ati here

@crilicM@n said:

The TVWonder VE, just needs to put in the pci slot, end poit?
Don´t need to plug an output from it to the main card input (what would require a vivo feature in the main...) (I hope not, and think so...)
And... Does it accept the remote control for ati to... (Less important).. I like that feature that makes the back wall paper being TV :p

Humberto Hepp

All you need to do is install this card in an open pci slot and install the drivers...then connect your video source(tv/video). About remote control, I dont know if you are referring to a actual remote that you hold in your hands or the control panel for the ATI tv..please explain more......peace

Re: Re: Re: ati here

"then connect your video source(tv/video). "

By this you mean, an external font to capture the image no?
But, to just watch TV (What I wan´t) it´s just install in a free slot an the software/drivers, ya :rolleyes:

The remote control is the one on ATI site, exactly the one you mentioned.... But, never mind... Wont buy it toghether now...

HH

Pricey

Yeah, the Deluxe has excelent editing capabilities, but, the price is out of my range.. I just want to watch tv, and some basic capture may be sooooomeday used..., the Pynacle basic version, of 49$ seems not that good... And I´m Thinking about a simple one....
Just Unshure about the NTSC - PAL M... Here it´s Pal.... :rolleyes:

HHepp

Audioaficionado said:

Last edited:
They have cheaper options for about one C note. I agree on that Delux price. I'd like one too but I'd like an nVidia G4 ti 4600 even more.

Keep in mind that the TV-Wonder VE can't capture a resolution higher than 640x240(you would most likely keep a 4:3 ration so 320x240 is most likely your choice). Which means output back to VHS or the TV is going to have to stretch your capture file to 640x480, and that results in quality loss.

G4

Oh yeah... I´d like a G4 or a Radeon all in wonder275/550 with remote controler and a 21" monitor :D (Dream, Dream boy...).. Ok, I´d be very happy with an All in Wonder 7500... But´s arround 110, and I must add some 25 until it comes here, than a 100% tax, than a 2,5x to convert to my country money..., That makes me want to use a Wonder VE.... :cry:

Audioaficionado said:
They have cheaper options for about one C note. I agree on that Delux price. I'd like one too but I'd like an nVidia G4 ti 4600 even more.

Back