• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which 64-bit OS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dop3y

I am going to change from my 32-bit XP to a 64-bit OS. Which 64-bit OS (XP-64 or Vista 64) is easier to use. I have heard good and negative of each one. Any help or info on making the decision would be great.

If i went Vista 64 would i need like ultimate or something or just the basic home 64 bit?

You should probably go for at least Home Premium. Home Basic is just so they actually have an OS to sell on cheap computers. It is very minimal.

Will i need any patches or anything to make it work or will everything work fine once it is installed. I have read where some people needed to install some stuff in order to have some programs work.

Just have the proper 64 drivers available and do things like you normally would.

Will i need any patches or anything to make it work or will everything work fine once it is installed. I have read where some people needed to install some stuff in order to have some programs work.

Depends on the software. Some will not work, but most of what I have worked just fine. Some marginal stuff needed the UAC turned off durring installation.

I have 64-bit versions of both Ultimate and Home Premium, and the difference really isn't enough to make up for the cost.

With Ultimate you get like one or two more Windows games (bleh), support for Windows DreamScape (bleh), support for BitLocker (bleh), and domain network support (bleh). So if I were going to do it all again, I'd just stick with Home Premium 64.

I have 64-bit versions of both Ultimate and Home Premium, and the difference really isn't enough to make up for the cost.

With Ultimate you get like one or two more Windows games (bleh), support for Windows DreamScape (bleh), support for BitLocker (bleh), and domain network support (bleh). So if I were going to do it all again, I'd just stick with Home Premium 64.

What is dreamscape and bitlocker?

Actually, a very large downside to Home Premium, for me at least, is the exclusion of Remote Desktop.

You can connect to other PC's, but you cannot connect to Vista Home Premium PC's.

Sure you can use a 3rd party VNC tool of some kind if you must, but then you have to have that 3rd party software running 24/7 since you can't turn it on remotely and then connect, hehe.

For those interested:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/02ddfbec-7a97-4788-9d54-86f174a95f841033.mspx said:
Notes

* You cannot use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, Windows Vista Home Basic N, or Windows Vista Home Premium. You can, however, connect from those editions of Windows Vista to computers running other versions of Windows.

Back