• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't open all my ports for BF2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Restart the network. Shut down all computers and the router. Bring up the router and one computer, see if you still have the issue. If you do...something is using it or your router does not like that port. If you don't have the issue, something was using it.

Worst case scenario.. put that machine on DMZ

If you aren't aware of that.. DMZ stands for "Demilitarized Zone" this is a setting on the router that you can usually assign to 1 or more machines that sidesteps all router security and ports. It opens you up to the public so you can access your game.. but it also stops you from getting the protection the router usually gives you. But I've done it for weeks at a time w/o ill effects.

i have never needed to open any ports to play a game. are you trying to host one?

I never had to either until I started playing Company of Heroes. Stupid thing won't let me connect to most players unless I set myself to DMZ even after opening the ports specified by Relic.:mad: Never had a problem with BF2.

i have never needed to open any ports to play a game. are you trying to host one?

No, but my internet connection is real finicky. *Sometimes* if I find a good server I can get in an hour or so before the pings start to spike into the 500-800 range. It usually happens right towards the end of a game so I lose all my point too. :bang head

No, but my internet connection is real finicky. *Sometimes* if I find a good server I can get in an hour or so before the pings start to spike into the 500-800 range. It usually happens right towards the end of a game so I lose all my point too. :bang head

It's probably not port forwarding then.

Try running command prompt (start->run->cmd) and do, for example,
ping -n 100 www.google.com >> ping.txt

Wait for ping to finish. Then go to your My Documents folder (C:\Documents and Settings\YourName) and open up ping.txt. Review the results. If you're seeing spikes then mostly likely you probably have a poor connection. If pings are low, on the other hand, the problem is on the server side.

Back