• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GT200 thermal design power (TDP) is 250W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think I'm going to get a bank of these things and have the waste heat ducted under the floors to warm them during the winter.

I would be worried about running that on air...

Good luck running those in SLI, unless you want to open your own sauna.

I would be worried about running that on air...

Good luck running those in SLI, unless you want to open your own sauna.

My 2900XT was decently hot on air. Guess really with a proper cooler it wouldnt be that much of an issue I guess. Still that is quiet warm.

Hm for a wattage comparison, what does a slightly overclocked 8800GT draw in power?

250W seems rediculous to me

250W, wow

but do you guys remember those stories that said that old 8800 series would use 300-400 W and that they recommended a extra PSU, hope that this article is the same bull as the other one

Thermal design power is a number used for cooling manufacturers for how much heat their cooling solution should be expected to deal with. As much as people like to take these figures out of context, that's all that TDP's are good for.

Power consumption is not (directly, linearly) tied to TDP. A part with high leakage would put out far more heat per watt consumed, versus a part with low leakage would put out far less heat per watt consumed.

I guess what I'm boiling down to is this: you can't immediately tell much (if anything) from nothing more than a TDP figure.

Back