• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to limit bandwidth on a computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well on my home network (Verizon DSL) is only two computers atm. My PC, and my parents PC. The problem I am having is when I am gaming, and my parents are using there computer, I start lagging like crazy to the point of being unplayable. When its just my computer using the internet, there is absolutely no lag.

Basically what I want to do is limit the bandwidth my parents computer uses on the network, so I can still play online games w/o getting the insane lag. Pretty sure the DSL connection is the 768kbs one.

There is no server or anything like that. Just two PC's hooked up to a wireless Westell Router (though the computers are wired up, and the wireless is shut off).

Well on my home network (Verizon DSL) is only two computers atm. My PC, and my parents PC. The problem I am having is when I am gaming, and my parents are using there computer, I start lagging like crazy to the point of being unplayable. When its just my computer using the internet, there is absolutely no lag.

Basically what I want to do is limit the bandwidth my parents computer uses on the network, so I can still play online games w/o getting the insane lag. Pretty sure the DSL connection is the 768kbs one.

There is no server or anything like that. Just two PC's hooked up to a wireless Westell Router (though the computers are wired up, and the wireless is shut off).
If you can get an older computer and two NICs, you can run a smoothwall.

http://www.smoothwall.org

Works GREAT, I have people that torrent and my games don't flinch at all. I love my smoothwall :)

Don't really have access or the room for that, but thanks though :)

Was just hoping there was a setting in XP that would allow me to lower the max connection speed or something like that.

Don't really have access or the room for that, but thanks though :)

Was just hoping there was a setting in XP that would allow me to lower the max connection speed or something like that.
There is no native one in Windows XP except unplugging the network cable ;)

thideras, where can you find all the features of smoothwall? I couldn't find where it stated it can do true network bandwidth limiting, and if so, can it do QoS?

A smoothwall is fine, but old computers pull a serious amt of wattage compared to a nice router with QOS.

dd-wrt would take care of this for you, though that really isn't an option for your westell. :(

Back