• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid card causing pc to shut off.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rookie123

Registered
I found out that it is my 8500gt that causes my pc to shut off everytime I boot it up the first time. (I found out by process of elimination). Then when I boot it up the second time it works fine.

I thought that it was something wrong with the driver and so I updated the driver, got it from nvidia site, and it still causes my pc to shut down. And to add to that, rivatuner doesnt recognize this new driver so I lost my overclock.

Do I have any hope in fixing this pc shutting off problem?

You sure you don't have your clocks set too high?

Sounds exactly liek what happens when you have a bad over clock.

I dont get any blue screens, I forgot to mention that the shutting off started even before I overclocked my card so that eliminates the problem being from the overclock.

I dont get any blue screens, I forgot to mention that the shutting off started even before I overclocked my card so that eliminates the problem being from the overclock.

Not necessarily....

Drop your clocks back down to stock. Open up RivaTuner (I am asuming you are using it to OC), go to the hardware monitoring section, and check out the temp, and voltage.

Also, If you don't already have it, go get GPU-Z. run it, take a screen shot of your GPU-Z stats, and post it. Might help us figure it out.

My cards temp is at 43 heres the screen of gpu z
gpuzge9.png

I think your clocks were way too high man. You're also running at PCI-E 8X instead of 16X

Which brand card BTW?

I actually dont know the brand, my mobo manual says that the pci e only supports x8, dont know how that works. What I am not sure about is that this problem started occuring months before i decided to overclock my card. And when i did overclock the card the temps always stayed at about 50 when playing games.

Some boards will drop the PCI-E bus to 8x for each slot when in SLI. You don't happen to have SLI enabled by accident do you?

Some boards also have a hardware piece, similar to a jumper, that could turn on SLI (x8,x8). Does your manual say anything about that?

Some boards also have a hardware piece, similar to a jumper, that could turn on SLI (x8,x8). Does your manual say anything about that?

No it doesnt say anything about that. But going back to the problem, is there anyway i can fix this card and prevent it from causing my rig to shut down?

Guys, read his post.. The manual says the mobo doesn't support 16 lanes. Check this out: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/411 ...

As for fixing the problems, what brand and model is the card? 8500GT stock clocks are 450/900/800, yours is clocked at 500/1070/700. Is it some odd version, or did you do that yourself?

Guys, read his post.. The manual says the mobo doesn't support 16 lanes. Check this out: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/411 ...

As for fixing the problems, what brand and model is the card? 8500GT stock clocks are 450/900/800, yours is clocked at 500/1070/700. Is it some odd version, or did you do that yourself?

I dont know if you mistyped the 700? My card is clocked at 500mhz core, and 350mhz memory. Thats how it came before I touched it. Is there any way to check what brand the card is, it didnt say it on the gpu fan, maybe its on the sticker?

Last edited:
The memory is DDR of some sort, it's running at 700mhz effective.. When I note the speeds, I was accounting for that. As far as the brand, can you post a picture of the front and back of the card?

edit: Just curious, why does your sig say 730/500? Where did you get those numbers? The GPU-Z screen you posted disagrees..

Last edited:
Back