• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Download speed, why so bad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narcotis

it takes me about 3 - 4 hours to download a 690MB file.

Is this slow?
every patch i download for the game World of warcraft seems to take FOREVER.

need any other info please ask.

What speed are you downloading it at? And it depends what the servers can provide you are downloading it off of.

lol, this is about as a generic of a question as you can possibly ask.

go here->http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Looks like you are in WI, so choose Chicago, IL. Your closest choice and report back with what it tells you.

Even this will only tell half the story though, because it also depends on what the server you download your file from can provide. Chances are, it is the server you are downloading from, your connection is fine, and you are overly paranoid.

Yeah those are plenty fast speeds. It shouldn't take 3-4 hours for a 690MB file to download. It should be like less than 15 minutes if you were downloading at that speed. Therefore, it is likely the server which you are downloading it from is capping the bandwidth at which you can download.

i think the blizzard d/l uses a torrent type d/l, you u/l to other ppl they u/l to you, from what i been reading some ips are limiting the bandwith on torrent type program, plus most ppl dont have a very good u/ and when their d/ling its even slower

whenever downloading from torrents you are limited in dl speed by how many peers/seeds there are, sometimes even ifthere are alot they make have a slow / limited upload speed.

if you were dling fro ma server hat could feed your bandwidth it should only take like 35mins at the most.

but blizzard will not let you d/l from them unless there is NO one else, even if that one guy is only giving your 10kbs

look at portforward.com for some help on that.

As for speeds downloading WoW updates, its probably limited by your WRT54G. If you upgrade it to something like dd-wrt it will perform slightly better.

Back