• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help been too long since I've done this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
OK guys I'm asking someone out there for a spot of help cause I'm in a bit of a pickle.

So here goes:
I'm setting up my own home network. I have two different routers a Dlink-824VUP and a Dlink Gaming router(its new can't remember the model #) both are running different SSIDs (DISG and DISG Pntr) DISG is for 2 wired pcs and wireless. DISG Pntr is for my printers and scanners(they will be hooked up through USB) using ips supplied via wireless only.

Now this is what I want to do:
I want DISG which is already assigned to pull DHCP from my ISP to supply IPs to the other router.

I just can't remember how to set this up do I need to clone a mac address of the main router or do I need to set default gateway to DISG?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

HUH? LOL

So you want the border router to pass on another external IP to the internal router? Why? It's NAT'd behind the first one, assuming you are daisy-chaining them (which you should).

Here's how this works:
ISP -> cable/DSL adapter -> DISG_PNTR (wireless laptops) -> DISG (wired PCs)

It has to be this way because if DISG_PNTR is after DISG, you won't be able to see the printers from the PCs. Routers don't let traffic flow that way without some nifty handiwork on your part (static routes and such).

Gateway for DISG is DISG_PNTR
Gateway for laptops is DISG_PNTR
Gateway for PCs is DISG

Drawbacks (some of this is how I have my home network too):
laptops can't see the PCs
Printer should work over NAT going downwards, but might be tricky.

Positive points:
PCs can see the laptops if pointed to them over IP (\\ip_address\), since they are going down the line instead of trying to go up it.
Any wireless hackers won't see the PCs

If you want to simplify this, use one router (DISG_PNTR)

As an example, my home network is ISP -> netgear wireless router (laptops and HTPC) -> DGL-4100 (wired only, holds PCs, printer)

Going down the line is the only way to go over NAT/firewalling, so I have a share on the HTPC so I can move files from any PC to the HTPC easily. All machines have access to that. Up the chain, behind wired-only, I have my PCs able to see the printer and fileserver, and any hacker can't see them over wireless (and neither can I). To get files from a laptop to the PC, it takes a USB drive, which we have several.

HUH? LOL

So you want the border router to pass on another external IP to the internal router? Why? It's NAT'd behind the first one, assuming you are daisy-chaining them (which you should).

Here's how this works:
ISP -> cable/DSL adapter -> DISG_PNTR (wireless laptops) -> DISG (wired PCs)

It has to be this way because if DISG_PNTR is after DISG, you won't be able to see the printers from the PCs. Routers don't let traffic flow that way without some nifty handiwork on your part (static routes and such).

Gateway for DISG is DISG_PNTR
Gateway for laptops is DISG_PNTR
Gateway for PCs is DISG

Drawbacks (some of this is how I have my home network too):
laptops can't see the PCs
Printer should work over NAT going downwards, but might be tricky.

Positive points:
PCs can see the laptops if pointed to them over IP (\\ip_address\), since they are going down the line instead of trying to go up it.
Any wireless hackers won't see the PCs

If you want to simplify this, use one router (DISG_PNTR)

As an example, my home network is ISP -> netgear wireless router (laptops and HTPC) -> DGL-4100 (wired only, holds PCs, printer)

Going down the line is the only way to go over NAT/firewalling, so I have a share on the HTPC so I can move files from any PC to the HTPC easily. All machines have access to that. Up the chain, behind wired-only, I have my PCs able to see the printer and fileserver, and any hacker can't see them over wireless (and neither can I). To get files from a laptop to the PC, it takes a USB drive, which we have several.

Well seeing as how I have a 12'x10' room to live out of and work out of (plus a good 300Lbs of PC parts) I'm trying to keep the d4mn printers and scanners out of my room....The issue is the cable only comes in in one point in the house(my room) and the Gamer Lounge needs to be in my room and the VUP needs to be elsewhere its also the only router I have with USB ports in it so it needs to be the printer and scanner router plus I'm not giving up 1Gb p/sec LAN connection just to put printers in my room.

Ok, I assumed the printers were a priority, as they are with most people. I was wrong :p

Ok, then do ISP -> DISG -> DISG_PNTR

Allow DHCP server for DISG
Allow DHCP client (most likely default) for DISG_PNTR
Config each on their own IP block as well (ex. DISG 192.168.1.1-254 and DISG_PNTR 192.168.2.1-254)

That means in the chain of IPs, you have this as the traffic direction:
external IP (DISG_WAN) -> internal_range (DISG_LAN / DISG_PNTR_WAN) -> internal_range (DISG_PNTR_LAN)
Now you can't see the printers from the PCs, but you have your gigabit LAN.

Or you could simply buy an access point that plugs into DISG, so that all printers and PCs are on the same subnet :). That is actually by far the easiest way to do this.

edit: oh wait you said USB printers. I hate consumer equipment sometimes....
Ok fine, wire the freaking house with CAT5 already. Fixed.

500ft cat5
pushrods or fishtape
wall plates
keystones

git er done.

Back