• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting my 1.9 P4 past 2.2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ss109

Registered
I currently have a 1.9GHz P4 running 2.2GHz @ 1.8v, Swiftech MXC478 heatsink, artic paste, 1 fan in, 3 fans out. If I try 2.3GHz, I cannot boot past BIOS (into Windows). How can I get past this point? This si my first o/c project in a long while, so I'm not completly up-to-date on the latest techniques. We use to do stuff like sanding down the processors to get a better surface area (on K62s and Celerys), etc. Is the P4 safe to sand on, as it has a little chip in the top center? Any air-cooled ideas are appreciated! TIA

I haven't seen too much on p4's going over 115 fsb without water cooling or peltiers. You might have to go that route if you really want to go any higher. I currently am running my p4 1.8 @ 2070 (115 fsb) with stock heatsink , fan and voltage. I will go higher later after seeing that it will stay as stable as it has been lately.

The little chip is the important part, and you shouldn't sand it- its the delicate part! Lapping the heat sink is a good idea though, and can drop temps quite a bit.

There are a bunch of guides and suchHERE with a lot of good info, and also links to utilities and such.

I only have a "mere" p3(x2) but good luck with the p4- I look forward to seeing benchmarks of that baby!

What benchmarking standards should I use? I have been running 3DMark2001 for 12 hours straight (just to ensure stability). Is the numbers this program spits out a good standard to go by, or should I get a diffrent program? Thx

3DMark is a common one, another is SiSoft Sandra. I've seen quite a few posts of benches with both, but Sandra probably gets more.

That little metal thing on top of the P-4 core is called an Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS). Some minor lapping would probably be ok since it's not the actual core (if your CPU for some reason doesn't have this metal cap, then forget about lapping it). The Tualatins also have this IHS and there have been a few people who managed to figure out how to remove the IHS and claim to get a bit better cooling and overclocking out of it, but several others have ruined their CPUs trying to remove it. In reality, I don't think you ought to mess with it in your situation. Most of those Willly P-4's seem to max out at about 2.2 gig, so you might be fairly close to the limit of the CPU. A higher output CPU cooler fan and another intake case fan might help cooling enough to go for a bit more voltage. Maybe that could help you get over the last hump.

There was quite a bit of posting on this back in August. There is something strange about voltage adjustment on a P4 board. There is definitely no jump to 133. Also be advised that you are also overclocking your RDRAM. The Asus P4T (423) board has a multiplier to allow you to turn the ram down. The settings are 3X and 4X and are in the Advanced section. If you are planning to use the system for memory intensive work I don't think you would gain too much turning ram down to increase clock unless you could overclock enough to bring it back into the PC800 range. I don't think voltage will let you get that high. There is also a voltage mod that senior member TC did to his and he was able to get close to if not above 2.0. I can get my 1.7 to 2.0 at the maximum voltage built into the board (1.85 I believe), but although I have no problems folding at that speed all attempts to do 3D games and benchmarks lock the system up. If I want to play games I turn it down to 1.7 and press on. The P4 overclock does not play by normal rules at all.

My P4 1500 478 on abit TH7II (non raid) is going with a 120 fsb with the standard hsf the ram is at 480 (4x), the board has up to 2.2 vcore and im only up to 1.9

With water cooling im hoping to move up to a 133 fsb with 3x rambus

and try prime95 it has a torture test to check if your system is stable and test your load temp at the same time

Back