• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Warcraft 3 Patch brings No-Cd support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://www.qj.net/Warcraft-3-patch-v1-21b-released-with-no-CD-feature/pg/49/aid/113191

Guess I'll start playing again. Haven't played since my friend LOST my frozen throne CD. :(

Haha. Well, look at it in positive way. My dog at the time chewed the living hell out of my Frozen Throne CD. he chewed on it sooo badly, when i picked it up, it broke into 3 pieces. suffice to say, the dog got a healthy A** beating from that one. ( not like it really mattered...i swear, that dog was completely immune to pain. ) Damn Jack Russel Terriers....Their too hyper, Need attention ALLY DAY, and are dumber than bricks. I thin i'll stick with Labrador Retrievers, golden retrievers, and Collie's thank you very much. ( and a mix of any of the above is a GREAT combination, trust me ).

well...back to Devil May Cry 4! yayerz.!

Thank god, the only No-CD loader I had could no longer go into windowed mode since it was a separate executable, I had no idea they were planning on releasing this. Yay!

My brother lost his CD a while back and used an image file of some sort to play online. That's pretty cool that they're doing a no CD patch because I have his CD keys (he's deploying to Iraq for a year) and have thought about wanting to play. Warcraft 3 is a bit old now, but most games these days don't require the CD to play when you validate your game online. I love this about Company of Heroes as well as Steam games.

Last edited:
My brother lost his CD a while back and used an image file of some sort to play online. That's pretty cool that they're doing a no CD patch because I have his CD keys (he's deploying to Iraq for a year) and have thought about wanting to play. Warcraft 3 is a bit old now, but most games these days don't require the CD to play when you validate your game online. I love this about Company of Heroes as well as Steam games.

Company of Heroes and the Steam games? That's not "most games" :)

Call of Duty 4 doesn't require the CD when playing online. I think more and more games are heading that way for online play, using only CD Keys for validation.

Really? Hmm... I wonder if World in Conflict requires the CD for online...

So it doesn't require the CD for online... but it requires it for offline...

That makes no sense...

Really? Hmm... I wonder if World in Conflict requires the CD for online...

So it doesn't require the CD for online... but it requires it for offline...

That makes no sense...
Not sure about WIC, I've only played it on the LAN and it does require the CD (just to start the game though).

Yeah COD4 doesn't require the CD for multiplayer but it does for single player. I had always just left my CD in when playing COD4 MP because I had it in when I was playing through the SP campaign. The other day, I accidentally left it out and it works fine.

And they recently did this for StarCraft too right?

Nice to see they didn't totally forget about the games that made them who they are.

I'd love to do a gamenight with Warcraft 3. That means I've got to start practicing again!

Not sure about WIC, I've only played it on the LAN and it does require the CD (just to start the game though).

Yeah COD4 doesn't require the CD for multiplayer but it does for single player. I had always just left my CD in when playing COD4 MP because I had it in when I was playing through the SP campaign. The other day, I accidentally left it out and it works fine.

It's affirmative: World in Conflict multiplayer does NOT require a CD.

But the thing with Warcraft III is a little different: There will be no cd requirement at all. Single player, multiplayer, nada.

Just finally downloaded and installed the patch. Solved two of my life's greatest annoyances. A quick note:

1. You must install Reign of Chaos, The Frozen Throne, and then the patch in that order.
2. NoCD counts for the original as well as the expansion.
3. For some odd reason, after I uninstalled and reinstalled Reign of Chaos it wouldn't let me run the patch I downloaded again. The solution? Connect to Battle.net and it will automatically patch the game as soon as you click the Battle.net button.
4. The game does NOT support widescreen and crashed on me everytime I tried to run it at my HDTVs native resolution. I was able to get around this by switching my TVs resolution to 1024x768 and then going into the options and changing the game to that resolution. (You have to switch to 1024x768 BEFORE you go into the game. Otherwise it will crash when you try to enter the options menu.)

That's about it. Let me know if any of you want me to BEAT YOUR ASSES. ;)

My Frozen Throne CD got stuck in one of my old CD-Drives, the darn thing just wouldn't open. I figured the CD was worth more so I smashed it open :)

My Frozen Throne CD got stuck in one of my old CD-Drives, the darn thing just wouldn't open. I figured the CD was worth more so I smashed it open :)

Yeah my friend accidentally got my Frozen throne CD mixed in with his music CDs and I never saw it again. I called up Blizzard's tech support and tried to get them to send me a replacement. Told them I still had the case, the serial number, the receipt and everything. They were less than helpful.

I eventually found an "alternative" solution though. (The game would still run off the Reign of Chaos CD but I needed to reinstall.)

Now I don't need a CD at all. It's wonderful. I had gotten pretty good at Reign of Chaos online and had only just started playing the Frozen throne multiplayer.

Just finally downloaded and installed the patch. Solved two of my life's greatest annoyances. A quick note:

1. You must install Reign of Chaos, The Frozen Throne, and then the patch in that order.
2. NoCD counts for the original as well as the expansion.
3. For some odd reason, after I uninstalled and reinstalled Reign of Chaos it wouldn't let me run the patch I downloaded again. The solution? Connect to Battle.net and it will automatically patch the game as soon as you click the Battle.net button.
4. The game does NOT support widescreen and crashed on me everytime I tried to run it at my HDTVs native resolution. I was able to get around this by switching my TVs resolution to 1024x768 and then going into the options and changing the game to that resolution. (You have to switch to 1024x768 BEFORE you go into the game. Otherwise it will crash when you try to enter the options menu.)

That's about it. Let me know if any of you want me to BEAT YOUR ASSES. ;)

When are they finally get with the program and enable widescreen support! IMO thats where everythings going anyways... Its the only reason Im not playing now, because my new PC has a WS and got rid of the old p.o.s. 15" LCD monitor from '01.

When are they finally get with the program and enable widescreen support! IMO thats where everythings going anyways... Its the only reason Im not playing now, because my new PC has a WS and got rid of the old p.o.s. 15" LCD monitor from '01.

I don't know why they didn't add it to the latest patch actually. Every Valve game, for instance, supports widescreen. All you have to do is key it in.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://warcraft.freakygaming.com/tutorials/running_warcraft_3_in_widescreen.html

1) Make sure the resolution you want to run is supported by your graphics drivers.
If you can select a resolution in your Operating System, then it is supported. If the resolution doesn't exist, read our guide on how to configure custom resolutions in windows.

2) Backup your registry, in case something goes wrong.
START > Run > regedit > file > export

3) Change Warcraft 3's resolution manually.
START > run > regedit

While in the Windows Registry Editor (regedit), locate:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Blizzard Entertainment > Warcraft III > Video

4) Make below change in decimal format:
(Right click > Change > select "decimal" > fill in new value)
resheight = 1600
reswidth = 900

Replace width & height with whatever resolution you wanna play in, examples:
852x480 16:9 Widescreen
1280x720 16:9 Widescreen
1365x768 16:9 Widescreen
1440x900 16:10 Widescreen
1680x1050 16:10 Widescreen
1920x1200 16:10 Widescreen
320x240 4:3 Aspect ratio
2048x1535 4:3 Aspect ratio

Just tried it. Works fine.