• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra X3 1000W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
$190 for a psu? And an Ultra at that?

No thanks. My Powerstream is 3 years old and still goes strong. Even handled the power hungry 2900XT at one point.

There's a legal ceiling for wattage anyway, so eventually manufacturers won't be able to dupe people into the "more wattage is better" scheme.

Yeah, it might say 1000w, but I bet it's like 70% efficient, so probably ~700w actual.

I have a hard time when someone claims to house a 1KW psu in a standard size case, like you'd see on a 400w unit, too. Not that it can't be done, but not for 190 bucks.

edit: says 85% efficient. I don't care, still not a 1KW PSU.

Looks nice though, I give them that.

Yeah, it might say 1000w, but I bet it's like 70% efficient, so probably ~700w actual.

I have a hard time when someone claims to house a 1KW psu in a standard size case, like you'd see on a 400w unit, too. Not that it can't be done, but not for 190 bucks.

edit: says 85% efficient. I don't care, still not a 1KW PSU.

Looks nice though, I give them that.

i don't think that's how efficiency works in this case. since this is a 1kW psu, 70% efficiency would mean it consumes 1428W from the wall to output that 1kW. that's all that would make sense to me. am i wrong here?

Jonnyguru really liked this power supply, since it received a 9.5! Ultra has really improved itself compared to the x-connects we once saw.

http://jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=41
For the power supply, this is a great deal!

What he said.. That's why I put it up.
Some that know better than me, choose this one as one of the best. Second to the Tagan 1100. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817714001 Which is alot mo money..

According to JG there are Teapo caps all around. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.

Every teapo I've seen failed early. Short life caps mean "Antec Syndrome".

According to JG there are Teapo caps all around. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole.

Every teapo I've seen failed early. Short life caps mean "Antec Syndrome".

quote from the [H] review....
"Once we move over to the primary side we see the primary capacitors are a pair of Teapo capacitors rated at 105c 420v 390uF. Teapo capacitors do not have the best reputation when it comes to other devices, however when properly cooled in a power supply they do work fine. A number of high end power supply brands ship with Teapo capacitors so Ultra is not alone nor is this selection a real cause for concern."

When we spend as much as we do on these parts, I err on the side of caution :)

fair enough. no one is making you buy it. but it's blessed by the experts that know infinitely more about this topic than i. if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Back