• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is coretemp Lying or what? wtf lol...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikenogo

Registered
Hey guys I finally did my first overclock, running stable in prime95, but I want this chip to go at least 4ghz, but the problem is the heat, I have thermalright 120 ultra extreme, using MX-2, P182 case with 5 120mm fans (w/ heatsink fan) and there are hardly any cables so it is getting the best air flow possible.

anyways i ran two temperature reading software, speedfan and core temp, which one is the most accurate? and which one is most like having thermal reading problems? because when i had this stock,. the temperature was 55C @ load and 45 in idle! when i checked my bios, it said 27C idle!

also for speedfan im getting confused which reading is my cpu temp, the temp1 or temp2? i know core is the video card...

any help? thanks

zomgwtf.jpg

No fix is out yet, they are working on it.

(E8400s are reporting temps incorrectly on tons of mobos and tons of systems)

Your cooling looks pretty solid, I wouldn't be too worried about trying to overclock more.

so guys, on speedfan, which one tells you your cpu temp? there is just temp1 and temp2 there and i don't know which is which.

so a fix is comming out? what kind of fix? software fix? bios fix?

If you're sure you have a good mount then just continue to OC, and keep the vcore under 1.45v. Try touching the base of the HS, and see if it gets hot.

I wouldn't trust any software temp readings until this mess gets straightened out.

i tried overclocking again, this time i was able to get stable 4.2ghz, and set vcore to 1.4 (shows 1.328-1.344 cpu-z)

omgwtf2.jpg

the temps are actually the same again.....load is at 64-65C in coretemp and in speedfan its 50-51C at load....

if this is all stable i might have to tighten the timing cuz im running 1:1, 467mhz DRAM and timing is 5-5-5-18

do you think i can do 4-4-4-10 stable? do i have to raise any volts to tighten the timing?

temp 2 most likely. just asked tc.
and as of now its on intel/bios end. everything is different. =(.
new coretemp will not fix such a bug. dts is all messed up on those chips.

temp 2 most likely. just asked tc.
and as of now its on intel/bios end. everything is different. =(.
new coretemp will not fix such a bug. dts is all messed up on those chips.

oh well as long as it runs stable and does the job, who needs to know temps when we already know its stable?

These things can take a beating no matter. When my water pump died, I didn't realize it at first, and it was only because I randomly decided to check my temps, it was over 80C in windows running folding at home. It wasn't even throttling yet. It doesn't throttle until 100C!

if this is all stable i might have to tighten the timing cuz im running 1:1, 467mhz DRAM and timing is 5-5-5-18

do you think i can do 4-4-4-10 stable? do i have to raise any volts to tighten the timing?

I'd think you could run 4-4-4-8 as long as you give it 2.1-2.2v at those speeds.

Back