Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Anyone else having a hard time getting back into the returning TV shows?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 02-08-08, 01:38 AM Thread Starter   #1
jivetrky

Anyone else having a hard time getting back into the returning TV shows?

So some of the shows I loved to watch regularly are coming back (Smallville, House, etc)

but I'm just not really caring that much to watch them. It seems that this strike really put a damper on my TV watching. I've got three episodes of each of those shows listed above queued up waiting to be watched and I just don't have the umph to watch them.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing....

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?\(_o)/
jivetrky is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 02:03 AM   #2
Godfather1138

Yes, I have barely turned on the TV during all this. I went back and caught up on Dr Who, and have been watching some other BBC shows to pass the time. I'm concerned that this may be about like the first baseball strike was for me. I lost my interest in the game (and most professional sports). It hasn't been the same, and so I wonder if I'll ever really get into good shows again. I have always gotten by just fine without TV so all i have to say is the next season of Heroes had better be outstanding.

That may all seem a bit strange to some, but I am a huge fan of film and proper television. Not the act of watching, but the stories that can be woven by a properly talented writer.

HEAT
"stock is just bad for your perfomance"
-Drinkyoghurt
Godfather1138 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 03:04 AM   #3
DerekDRP
Disabled

That's why there is COH, WOW, TF2, COD4, Yada yada yada
DerekDRP is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 04:42 AM   #4
Drinkyoghurt

they returned with 3rd rock from the sun here, didn't like it at first but now I like it again, it needs some getting used to again, as usual..

CPU:
Intel i5-2500k 4.7ghz 1.34V - M0b0:Asrock P67 Pro3 Rev. B3 - Ram:Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 7-8-7-21 1.63V - Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - Videocard:Sparkle GTX 260 216 core 55nm -
14459 marks in 3Dmark06
Reboot: "Don't argue with idiots. They bring you to their level and beat you with experience."
rdrash:"I think Todd changes hardware more frequently then he changes his underpants."
Join the benching team and be part of the elite
Drinkyoghurt is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 08:49 AM   #5
PhysX

i dont really watch alot of tv, only thing new i watch is dexted and its off for now due to the end of the season.

ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 09:13 AM   #6
DBZ

How can you get tired of House?

DBZ is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 09:50 AM   #7
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
My god, the last episode was brilliant.

I have to say that of all the television shows I've watched (Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost, etc.) House is the only one that has been consistently brilliant. As opposed to shows that take a dip after the first (few?) seasons (Lost and 24, for example), House is the only one that has gotten stronger and stronger. The fantastic move this season for House to fire his current team was risky as hell, but I have to say it's worked out wonderfully.

People complain that the episodes are all the same. The structure is the same, yes, but every episode explores a different dynamic of the characters. House is one of the few characters in television who actually grows and matures.

Here is my list of current shows I still have faith in, and shows that have been relegated to the graveyard:

The Keepers:
  1. House (No doubt)
  2. Battlestar Galactica (Now that the show is set to end in 2 seasons, I'm expecting a solid march to the finale)
  3. Lost (Season 2 was disappointing. Season 3 was mostly gripping. This season looks promising)
  4. Bones (Surprisingly well played out dynamic between the two leads)

The Graveyard:
  1. 24 (Last season was a major disappointment in terms of writing)
  2. Smallville (Last 3 seasons (at least) have been disappointing)
  3. Prison Break (Spinning its wheels)
  4. Friday Night Lights (Incredible first season. Now it's like a bad teen drama)

Last edited by Frodo Baggins; 02-08-08 at 09:58 AM.
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:01 AM   #8
PhysX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo Baggins View Post

I have to say that of all the television shows I've watched (Battlestar Galactica, 24, Lost, etc.) House is the only one that has been consistently brilliant. As opposed to shows that take a dip after the first (few?) seasons (Lost and 24, for example), House is the only one that has gotten stronger and stronger. The fantastic move this season for House to fire his current team was risky as hell, but I have to say it's worked out wonderfully.

People complain that the episodes are all the same. The structure is the same, yes, but every episode explores a different dynamic of the characters. House is one of the few characters in television who actually grows and matures.

Here is my list of current shows I still have faith in, and shows that have been relegated to the graveyard:

The Keepers:
  1. House (No doubt)
  2. Battlestar Galactica (Now that the show is set to end in 2 seasons, I'm expecting a solid march to the finale)
  3. Lost (Season 2 was disappointing. Season 3 was mostly gripping. This season looks promising)

The Graveyard:
  4. Friday Night Lights (Incredible first season. Now it's like a bad teen drama)
Maybe I'll get back into lost, the first season was good second i was like... wtf are they doign,, it was liek they didnt know what to do with it or where to go and each eisode just got... worse and worse.

ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:08 AM   #9
Archer36

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but that was the last new episode of house

House is the only show I watch every week. I like Chuck too, but not as much as house. If it was not for house I would find the whole writers strike entertaining, and would find it really interesting if they quit.

"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Freedom is not free, that it comes with the highest of sacrifices. The price of blood"

Archer36 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:08 AM   #10
Salomon Orangge

Quote:

The Keepers:
  1. House (No doubt)

The Graveyard:
Cant wait to see Lost again. I'm one of those people that refuses to watch it on tv and just buys the DVDs outright when they are released. I still havent picked up Season 3, but am ready to do so. Then make a weekend of it getting caught up.
Salomon Orangge is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:28 AM   #11
jordon

where is "the office" .... it stopped with s4ep6 or 7 when the strike started..

Aqua teen hunger force just started season 5... Ive been watching "carpoolers" kinda a replacement for the office.

GTX 260 stock
Folding for OCF "March Madness" Folding Contest
jordon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:54 AM   #12
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

I really don't watch much TV anymore, except sports.

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 10:55 AM   #13
jordon

-noted

but i think this thread was addressing people that watch shows

GTX 260 stock
Folding for OCF "March Madness" Folding Contest
jordon is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 11:02 AM   #14
benbaked
Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member

I did enjoy "Two and a Half Men" when it was on. Is that show still around?

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta

StaTek is my hero.

R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
benbaked is offline Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 11:21 AM   #15
Hardin

10 Year Badge

I've gone back to watching House and Law and Order but that's about it. Now I usually just watch the news since it's an election year.

motherboard-Asus P8Z68-V LE
Hardin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 12:04 PM Thread Starter   #16
jivetrky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
Oh I'm definitely not tired of House, it's one of my favorite shows.
(I agree with you Frodo, the writing is awesome. And yes, they are always on a similar direction with saving a person each week, but that is where the similarities end.)
It's just that, with this big break, I kind of lost my excitement for watching TV shows. Back when the TV season started, I would get home from work and watch my fav shows for the night (In addition to any video podcasts available ;check revision3.com if you haven't yet!).
Monday I'd watch Heroes and Journeyman (),
Tuesday, House and maybe Bones if I wasn't too tired.
Wednesday was Pushing Dasies.
Thursday I'd watch Smallville and Grey's Anatomy.
Sunday was Simpsons and Family Guy. And I might catch the other good shows if I had time (Mythbusters, Dirty jobs, How it's Made, etc)

But after the break from the strike I've just kind of lost interest. Hopefully it'll spark back.

Though strangly enough, last night after making this thread, I managed to watch 2 of the 3 episodes of Smallville that I haven't seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbaked View Post
I did enjoy "Two and a Half Men" when it was on. Is that show still around?
I couldn't tell if you were serious or not with this comment. I LOLed just in case.

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?\(_o)/
jivetrky is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 12:55 PM   #17
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysX View Post
Maybe I'll get back into lost, the first season was good second i was like... wtf are they doign,, it was liek they didnt know what to do with it or where to go and each eisode just got... worse and worse.
Indeed, the second was disappointing. They were spinning their wheels. (Happens with a lot of these 'suspense' shows -- Prison Break for example. I feel it coming for Heroes as well.

In the third season, there are finally some answers. And the season finale of S3 is among my favourite season finales of any show.
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 01:22 PM   #18
Roofles

I was waiting for the last season of Scrubs for a while, but it abruptly ended due to the writers strike I believe and I have no idea what is going on now.

I am still freaking pysched for BSG to come back in March. It is the only show I have ever watched every episode of; caveat, show ran more than 1 season.

Other than that I don't watch a lot of regular television, its mainly History channel, discovery, etc

Tuniq Tower 120 : Antec P182
Running: Windows 7 RC and Fedora 10 (PREEMPT_RT)

"If science is the dispassionate pursuit of objective truth, then it stands to reason that mad science is the completely irrational pursuit of a nutty project that the rest of the world will never completely understand." -Popular Mechanics
Roofles is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-08-08, 02:32 PM   #19
Ebola
Senior Toilet Scrubber

10 Year Badge

ESPN/Anime. No need for regular TV. The writers were producing garbage anyways. All that's ever on is reality TV or shows put on for shock value. Lame. I like shows like Star Trek, Babalyon 5, Hercules LJ, Highlander, etc. Stuff like that will probably never be on network TV again.

Old 02-08-08, 02:48 PM   #20
Godfather1138

Quote:
I like shows like Star Trek, Babalyon 5, Hercules LJ, Highlander, etc. Stuff like that will probably never be on network TV again.
Sounds like you should have been checking out Heroes.

HEAT
"stock is just bad for your perfomance"
-Drinkyoghurt
Godfather1138 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.