• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU for Digital Media Design

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreasianDevaili

Well, I might be dropping my current major, and getting into digital media design. Which, I would be taking all the classes this coming fall. If I do make this decision, is it wise to try for a Quad Core instead of a Dual Core?

I am shifting between going with a e8400 or a Q6600. I was going to aim just for gaming, but I am starting to think ahead on more than just gaming now.

I mean if I went with this setup, I would go with the 4 gigs of ram, and just get a windows vista upgrade since I have XP full. I have the funds to purchase it very soon, and am just making a budget.

So with a Gaming/Workload focus in mind, and while not trying to go nuts and bust the bank.. what processor do you all suggest?

Go Quad if you'll be doing a lot of encoding. 4GB of RAM is good. The only reason to go VISTA is to get 64-bit so you can use all the 4GB of RAM, but XP-32 will still see almost all of it, so personally I would just stick w/ XP, and if anything run dual-boot.

I do some encoding (hobby) and my setup is in the sig. I'm not dissapointed that I went vista, some of it's features I like better, it's going to take some getting used to though. My cpu's pretty quick right now, but if i were you i'd do the quad!

Do you know if the design programs in your curriculum will be multithreaded? I'm not up-to-date with the industry standards so if the answer is obvious I'm sorry.

For the price/performance I don't think you can beat the E8400 right now. However, it you will make good use out of the extra cores the Q6600 G0s are a beast. You might be able to snag the Xeon 3210 for a bit cheaper but it only has an 8x multi.

The only reason to go VISTA is to get 64-bit so you can use all the 4GB of RAM, but XP-32 will still see almost all of it, so personally I would just stick w/ XP, and if anything run dual-boot.
There is no reason to go with Vista...there is a 64bit XP that works perfect (I've personally used it on my main machine).

Back