• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build => Blue Screen of Death. Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Borisw37

I have bult a new system yesterday but ran into problems.
System info:
Motherboard: GABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R
Processor: Intel E8400
Memory: Corsair XMS2-6400 4GB (2x2Gb) DDR2
Video Card: e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
HDD: SATA and a PATA hdds
Put everything together powered it up w/ a Windows XP installation disc in. Bios loads fine, then it starts booting from Windows XP CD. Takes about 5minutes to load all the drivers, etc...
Then it says "Starting Windows" on the bottom and 15 seconds after that I get the Blue Screen of Death saying that there is a problem with the HDD.
The HDDs are known good from the old system. I have tried bot SATA and PATA drives with the same result.
Please help me out.

Admins: Since I am not sure if this is a hardware or software problem I put this topic in general hardware. Move if necessary.

Thank you,

Boris.

Sounds like it is missing a driver. What is the error code that it throws (its a hex code: 0x0000000), a "BSOD" is a very generic error.

If you had a floppy with drivers on it, hook up the drive, press f6 when it starts from the disc and install the drivers ;)

i don't think it's a driver issue if this is happening while booting the install disk. If it was a problem with a SATA driver missing, for example, you'd be able to get all the way to where you pick which drive to install to and it would say "no drives found". I think this might be a ram problem. Try installing with 1 stick at a time, and try different ram slots.

If I were to guess I would say that its a bad CD. I had a similar issue with installing windows XP on a laptop after installing a new HD. It kept blue screening on me even though it was a brand new HD. I burned a copy of my original XP and it solved my problems. Maybe it will work for you.

I think we can determine the issue if we have the code.

I have had issues with it not having the RAID drivers install (getting a 7b error, drive can't be accessed) even if I didn't have RAID. I could disable that option in the BIOS and the problem went away.

The error reads:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I think we can determine the issue if we have the code.

I have had issues with it not having the RAID drivers install (getting a 7b error, drive can't be accessed) even if I didn't have RAID. I could disable that option in the BIOS and the problem went away.

What option is that?

The error reads:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Haha! :D Disable RAID in your BIOS, try again ;)

Make sure you disable it in all locations, there are sometimes two different RAID chips.

Check your manual, it will tell you how to disable it.

I have played around with bios settings and hardware configurations.
The only way I can get windows xp to install is if I dont connect any devices to the IDE channel. Basically using a SATA hdd and an external USB cd/dvd drive

How is your hard drive plugged in to the motherboard or to a pci card or something? Also, you don't have a raid array or anything right?

Every problem I've ever had with xp install has been a ram issue, so try booting with different sticks.

Last edited:
Mr. Roboto.
Originally I had just and IDE HDD and a DVD-R connected to an IDE onboard port.
Nope no RAID.
I "solved" the problem.
Had to install windows onto one of the SATA drives. IDE drives are visible in BIOS and windows but for some reason windows install just didnt like them.
I got the system up and running. Thanks for all your help.

I just ran into this with my new build as well...

It seems that installing Windows XP with an SATA DVD drive will kick out the BSOD stop error the OP posted. Using an IDE DVD (or CD) drive eliminates the problem. I suppose once you're installed you can simply switch back over to the SATA drive.

Boris: Try installing XP on the IDE drive using the IDE DVD drive. If you changed to an SATA HDD and an IDE DVD at the same time, it was probably the switch to the IDE DVD that solved the issue. Just a guess!

Back