• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI linked 8600 GTS, monitor shuts down on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silway

Registered
I have a pair of 8600 GTS. When I startup my computer, right at the moment you'd expect to see the Vista logo (With a blue background after the windows logo that has the green status bar animation) and hear the startup tones, the monitor registers a lack of signal and shuts itself down. Everything looks fine until that point and I even hear the startup tones afterward and other random stuff to indicate the computer is finishing bootup. I've had this happen before and when I rolled back the drivers in safe mode (safe mode works), it fixed it. However, this time it didn't. Neither did updating drivers off the nVidia site. Nor going back to a restore point in windows restore, or uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling.

Any help would be fantastic.

Oh, Vista 64.

Silway

What card(s) do you have the monitors plugged into?

If you have one monitor in each one, that is why, put them on the same card.

I was under the impression you could only have 1 monitor when in SLi anyway...IDK.

try every input on the video cards to see which one might work
also check the bridge to make sure the connection is perfect

Just for anyone else who has this problem, turns out that after everything I went through, the solution is on nvidia's website. Their Vista hotfix #4( maybe #5) actually works and clears up the problem.

Silway

Back