• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot install OS, help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

justgrant

Ok guys, just got the final part for my new rig. Fitted it all up and suprise, it's not bloody working.

Everything is connected and everything starts up, all fans, MOBO, CPU, HD etc... Great ! I access the BIOS for the first time to change the boot order so I can install XP. Save the changes and the PC retarts as it is meant to, problem is it does not boot from CD. It just goes back to the LOGO screen. I've tried numerous times and still nothing !

I've made sure everything is connected right and the MOBO is detecting the CD drive and HD as I checked through the BIOS. They are both set as master drives so that's not the problem either.

I've even tried an HD with an OS already installed, MOBO detects it but it does not load it.

Info:

MOBO: gigabyte Ds3r
CPU: E2160
RAM: 2GB DDR2

Note: Logo screen shows for say 7 seconds then goes blank then reappears, I don't know if that is meant to happen or not.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Have you tryed pushing F12(while post screen) for boot menu? So you can select where to boot from instead of changing it in BIOS?

Unusual are you using a SATA drive?

Also does it say

Booting From CD ....

And just hang? If so it's a bad disk.

Nope.

I insert the disc after it has restarted after being set to boot from CD and all I get is the Gigabyte LOGO screen. That flashes on and off and thats all it does. I can access the BIOS but I can go now further in the OS installation.

The disc is fine aswell, I tried it on another PC.

Also I mentioned I tried a different HD with an OS already on, well I set it to boot to HD when I did that and still nothing. Same old.

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks

I don't know about your setup since it is not listed but try switching sata mode from ahci to ide, if you use sata drivers or have done so.

If you are using eide hard drive and eide cd drive, both can't be in master mode.

I don't know about your setup since it is not listed but try switching sata mode from ahci to ide, if you use sata drivers or have done so.

If you are using eide hard drive and eide cd drive, both can't be in master mode.

It's already set to IDE.

I'm using a SATA harddrive and an IDE CD Drive.

Notes:

When you first load up your PC you get this black screen, display little info about pc parts etc... Hope you understand what I mean.

This is some of the info that comes up.

(in order)

Memory Test: 2096128k OK

Memory runs in duel channel interleaved

IDE channel 0: HD

Detecting IDE Drives

IDE Channel 4 master: CD Drive

This shows up and after the last line the screen goes blank and then it proceeds to show the same thing again.

Just to add, I disablied the LOGO screen loading everytime so now I just get this that keeps loading.

Thanks !

Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte DS3R
PSU: OCZ Technology 600 Watt
GFX Card: X1600 Pro 512mb
Harddrive: Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB Sata
CD Drive: Sony CD/RW Drive
CPU: E2160

set your harddrive to ahci and press f6 for drives for it when windows ask

Tried it, does nothing.

Oh and Windows does not ask for F6 as the damn thing won't let me access the setup.

This is driving me crazy now.

I've just stripped the whole thing down to see if I missed anything and no nothing. Same result.

God damn it !

Back