• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i build a metal case from scratch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anthonylew95

1. Can i build a metal case from scratch?
2. What equipment do i need?
3. How much does metal cost?
4. Where can i buy metal?
5. Should i use aluminum or steel?
6. How do i connect the sheets of metal together?
7. What thickness should I use?

Thank you and please do not put links on where I can buy cases.

Edit
Where do I buy spray paint and what brand should I buy?

Last edited:
1. Yes you can
drill
rivet gun
rivets
some kind of saw (jigsaw would work well!)
welder (optional)
metal brake(bends metal)
3. not sure
4. some hardware stores sell metal
5. aluminum
6. rivets or bolts
7. 1/16" or so (depends on what you want)

You could build one, but you might just want to buy a cheapo case and just use that as a starter, then from there turn it into whatever you want. But if you want a non-conventional look you can buy everything you need at a Home Depot or store such as that.

I have another question. What screw do you use when you don't want it to show on top of the desk but it is on the inside. What is the screw called when you have this? The green is the desk, red is the screw, and the blue is where you screw it in. I can't draw and it is hard to take the picture right now

l l l
l l __
l l(_X_)
l l

edited with picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23657358@N07/?saved=1
notice that where you screw is horizontal and the screw is vertical

Last edited:
I have another question. What screw do you use when you don't want it to show on top of the desk but it is on the inside. What is the screw called when you have this? The green is the desk, red is the screw, and the blue is where you screw it in. I can't draw and it is hard to take the picture right now

l l l
l l __
l l(_X_)
l l
I'm a bit puzzled here. Obviously you're trying to fasten something to something else, but I'm not sure what those things would be. Try MSPainting a diagram. Even if you "can't draw" it might convey more information than what you have here. :beer:

Thank you and please do not put links on where I can buy cases.

Edit
Where do I buy spray paint and what brand should I buy?
These questions indicate that, for the moment at least, no, you can't build a metal case.

Before you can successfully create a custom case you should be able to look at a standard case and know not only how it was made but- most importantly- why it was made that way.

There is no reason to reinvent the wheel here...computer cases are actually pretty basic examples of metal forming and joining and mastering the basics is essential before moving further.
I'd suggest you investigate some shop classes in metalwork before doing anything else.

you could always try though. projects are fun. :D
Projects that succeed are fun...projects that flounder can kill the desire to continue.
Mastering the baby steps first not only fosters a sense of accomplishment but also builds the knowledge necessary to progress.

fine, get psychological. at least he can learn from his mistakes by doing a project even if it sucks in the end. the faster you fail, the faster you succeed.

thanks everybody i do not care if it looks bad i just want to try and i think it will be fun i have worked with wood many times i know it is different but at least i have basic knowledge like the above said faster you fail the faster you succeed i already have a jigsaw holesaw circular saw tablesaw a rotary tool and a metal shear i believe at least one of them should cut metal

Last edited:
...at least he can learn from his mistakes by doing a project even if it sucks in the end.
Why make mistakes to begin with if the knowledge necessary to succeed is readily available?

And this...
djrussell said:
The faster you fail, the faster you succeed.
...is sheer balderdash, sounds like something a demented Dr. Phil would say.
Previous failure is hardly a guarantee of later success.

But go right ahead, anthonylew, have fun.
I can't imagine a project that you don't " care if it looks bad" will have much promise but I've been wrong before.

I am a bit concerned by the saws that you have mentioned and the questions you have asked. Metal is a whole different beast than wood. Splinters and sawdust are nothing compared to pieces of hot razor sharp metal.

Please be careful and take some time to test cut plenty of pieces before you get into intricate cuts. Wood is crazy forgiving compared to metal.

I would suggest planning ahead of time and drawing at least a rough sketch up of what you think you would like to build, then taking a trip to the hardware store to see what they have.

It may even be handy to buy a cheap case as was mentioned above, and cut it up into raw parts and examine how thick the metal was in it's construction.

When I started building my Lego cases, I tried several different designs before finally going with the 4-5 models that eventually got built. And of those, I think I rebuilt all of them 2-3 times each. Metal will not quite be so easy to switch around, but you can always cut up another piece and rivet or bolt it into place!

Good luck and please be careful! Typing speed drops dramatically with the loss of a few fingers =(

you really do want to pick apart every little thing i say don't you? all i'm trying to do is offer some encouragement. thank you for not being discouraged, anthony.

Why make mistakes to begin with if the knowledge necessary to succeed is readily available?

cause it's not all about knowledge. he should definitely research and plan things out but things are different in the real world than they are on paper. sooner or later, you just need to dive into it and get your hands dirty.

what would you call the "baby steps" that you referred to before? smallish projects mainly focussed on one concept? there's no reason he can't group those baby steps into one project and learn them at the same time.

And this...

djrussell said:
the faster you fail, the faster you succeed

...is sheer balderdash, sounds like something a demented Dr. Phil would say.
Previous failure is hardly a guarantee of later success.

not really. the concept is that if you try something and fail then you know how not to do it. edison understood this. when he was asked about his failure in making the light bulb he said: "We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb." i didn't say it guarantees success. it just identifies the wrong ways to do something.

But go right ahead, anthonylew, have fun.
I can't imagine a project that you don't " care if it looks bad" will have much promise but I've been wrong before.

it's not about the promise. it's about the learning.

/threadjack. i'm out of this.

for DorianBrytestar's concern: all the tools he listed are fine for cutting metal except for the table saw. i guess you could even do that with a blade change. just make sure you're using the right kind of blade. using a wood blade on steel/aluminum is asking for trouble. glad to see concern for fellow OCers.

If metal working is something you want to do, have at it, but personally I'd rather buy a prebuilt. Aluminum stock is expensive (especially if you need to practice before doing the real thing) if you use the good stuff in a decent thickness. Not to mention the tools you need to purchase.

1. If you try hard enough, I am sure you could do anything.

2. At the minimum, a metal saw, tape measure, and a good file set.

3. Aluminum these days can be had from 1.90/lbs all the way up to $4-5/lbs. The type of alloy will determine the price. 6061 is very common.

4. OnlineMetals has a pretty wide selection. I personally use Admiral Metals, but only because I can drive to their location.

5. Steel is stronger, but at the expense of being much heavier and harder to work with. It is cheaper though.

6. Fastening 2 metals pieces together can be an art form all by itself. Its tough to say which way is better, as each has strengths and weaknesses.

7. Thickness on the part should be governed by "how little you can get away with "to reduce cost and weight.

Its a little hard to get into specifics as there could be many solutions to build something. If you have any detailed questions, feel free to PM me, I will do my best to help you out.

you really do want to pick apart every little thing i say don't you? all i'm trying to do is offer some encouragement.
As am I.
...cause it's not all about knowledge.
Actually, yes, it is.
... he should definitely research and plan things out but things are different in the real world than they are on paper.
If he were designing the Universe I would agree but I can't see any reason that something as simple as a computer case wouldn't turn out exactly as pictured on paper. Do you think the designers at Lian-li are surprised when they see their concept in the flesh?
... sooner or later, you just need to dive into it and get your hands dirty.
I would consider starting this thread as "getting his hands dirty" and further research as the same.
...what would you call the "baby steps" that you referred to before? smallish projects mainly focussed on one concept?
Yup.
For example...
Make a square (say out of aluminum) that's exactly 4" on a side with all four corners precisely 90°.
It's actually harder than it sounds...

...there's no reason he can't group those baby steps into one project and learn them at the same time.
Dozens of failed project logs on this (and other) forums would indicate that the "throw the baby in the deep end- he'll learn to swim" method may not be the most effective way to get results.
Look, I have no problem with innovation or creative workarounds, but how can you do either without a grasp of the fundamentals?

...the concept is that if you try something and fail then you know how not to do it. edison understood this. when he was asked about his failure in making the light bulb he said: "We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb." i didn't say it guarantees success. it just identifies the wrong ways to do something.
The Edison story is hardly applicable- uplifting as it may be.
Anthony isn't trying to invent the PC case, just duplicate one.
Would Edison have spent all that time trying different materials if he'd had a working light bulb to start with?

...it's not about the promise. it's about the learning.
Precisely.
I'd say the only difference between us is the amount of learning, and how you obtain it, before you start the physical building process.

@op...
DorianBrytestar recommended going to the hardware store to see what they have.
I'd recommend skipping Home Depot and Ace and go right for the motherlode.
If you think about it, what is a computer case but some sheetmetal fabricated into a box.
Go to a sheetmetal fabricators (like anyplace that does ductwork, for instance) and see how they cut/form/attach metal.
Sure, they'll use techniques and equipment beyond your reach but if you see how the pros do it you might get some ideas.

Back