• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about oc and temp with 8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_madvillain

Registered
I have not yet purchased my 8400. I am still doing research for my rig and this will be the first computer that I am going to build...

This is the set up that I am currently looking at:

Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
4 GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (4 x 1GB)
EVGA 8800GTS 512
Seagate Barracuda 250GB
CORSAIR 520HX
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Zalman 9700

Will I be able to take the E8400 to 4ghz? or rather how far will I be able to take it with this set up?

What is the highest temp that an e8400 can run at before burning up...

I dont know a lot about computers or OCing or temps or any of this I am trying to learn as much as I can before I make my computer so I don't make a mistake... since this will be my first machine I want it to be a success...

Thanks,
_madvillain

Last edited:
With that setup you should be able to easily achieve a 4ghz OC that is 24/7 stable. We can't predict the temps for you as I can barely predict my own temps. You'll probably be limited by voltage before you overshoot your temperatures though. Either way, 4ghz should be easy and if you get lucky you might squeeze out another 100-200mhz.

We really don't know what voltages kill these chips yet. Some say anything over 1.5v is bad. Others run at 1.7+ for subzero benching without a hitch. Who knows really? I think Intel specced anything over 1.45v will cause degradation in the lifespan of the chip. I'll run at 1.5v all day because I don't plan on keeping this chip for 2-3 years, let alone 5-10 or more.

I think to be safe, I wouldn't exceed 1.4-1.45v on air cooling and maybe 1.45->1.50v (actual loaded values) on water.

Back