Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards
Forum Jump

OCing a 780i

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 11:44 AM Thread Starter   #1
murdok5

OCing a 780i

so finally bought a new comp, and will be assembling this week. Old PC is a IC7-G with a P4 extreme (yeah the 478pin one!)

Anyways, OCing on that board was very easy. everything was in teh bios, only thing to OC with software was teh Vid card. Is everythign still like that?

Basically I see these software programs that comp with the mobo, i see nTune, etc and im wondering if they just let you do the same as setting things in bios. I hate having extra "one-time" apps installed on my machine.

Also, im new to nVidia chipsets, so OCing this will be different from an intel chipset by alot im guessing.

If there are softwares that "add" functionality what are they? Ill have an EVGA 780i and a 8800GTS G92.

thanks

Overclockers Approved
Which motherboard should you buy? Get the final word here. Check out the latest Overclockers reviews:
ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard Review

ASRock teamed up with overclocker Nick Shih to make a high-end overclocking-based, yet functional for all users, motherboard named the Z77 OC Formula. It appears they have achieved it. Read More.

Get it at NewEgg for $239.99
ASUS Maximus V Formula Motherboard

The Maximus V Formula is part of the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series of motherboards, which in itself brings a high level of expectation. It's a no brainer, Overclockers Approved! Read more.

Get it at NewEgg for $279.99
Old 02-12-08, 05:11 AM   #2
maxfly

if your a ocer you shouldnt have any problems with the 780i.it may take a few days to get used to the extra settings but once you do youll be off and running.your anticipation is correct.the options are of a much wider range than your old rig(easily tweaked memory timings,voltage options etc).
i would still use rivatuner for the gpu.you can use the supplied software(ntune)for the gpu as well but ive found it to be buggy as hell.for the cpu just stick to bios ocs and youll be golden.
going from a p4 to that rig is going to blow you away!have fun man!

I7 2600K-MSI Z68A GD65-MSI GTX 580
4x4gb Corsair Vengeance-OCZ Agility3 120gb
WD 320gb-Seasonic X1050,CM HAF-X

DDC-2 w/Bitspower mini tank
EK Supreme HF
DD GTX580
XSPC RX360

HEAT
maxfly is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-12-08, 05:37 AM   #3
Blazing fire

What he said is right about now. It's idiot-proof. You don't know what they are, leave em on auto. Simple as that.

However, if you're ocing on a 780i, you might have a fsb bottle neck of 450mhz, according to the (H)ocp. By the way, nice system you got there. 8800GTS G92 SLI is going to be very nice. Plus some quad cores at 4ghz (450X9) is going to be nice!
Blazing fire is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Motherboards > Intel Motherboards
Intel Motherboards