• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blue Screen,then restart

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spazztic_Killer

This not the blue screen of death. I only see blue screen for about 2 secs, then pc restarts right away.,, XP does not come up with the Fatal error thing. It acts like nothing. happened. The hardware i have is below this.

When does it happen? Is there a particular app running when this occurs? Do you think it could be thermally mediated? Is the PC hot when it happens?

After going through the standard "Check the connections, reseat the hardware" routine:

I'd run Memtest. Could be a bad stick of RAM.

My best guess is unstable overclock. See if it happens with everything running at stock.

Final guess would be power supply issues.

So, IMHO in order of liklihood:
1. Software conflict: Check your logs for errors.
2. Unstable Overclock (I almost put this as #1)
3. Hardware failure: RAM or PSU.

Good Luck!

Edit: Just re-read the sig... are you overclocking at all?

sry about the multi post. I have nothing overclocked. i was someone from school said it might be bad ram but it seems fine the sys reads 2 gbs if one was bad should it say only one?
PC is not hot cpu at 20-30c
No program causes this.that i know of.
How do i test the PSU?
I dont have my Supremefx2 card driver installed. I cant install it installs then it says hardware compiblities issues. But in the Device Manager the PCI Device "?"
goes away.

Both thideras and oakstave have made suggestions as far as things for you to try, but you haven't posted the results of your troubleshooting. What were the contents of the BSOD, as thideras suggested you disable the "Automatically restart" option under Startup and Recovery? oakstave also suggested you check your Error Logs (Event Viewer) for critical errors.. what were the results? He also suggested you test your RAM w/ Memtest... again, what were the results?
Spazztic_Killer said:
someone from school said it might be bad ram but it seems fine the sys reads 2 gbs if one was bad should it say only one?
That means nothing in regards to whether or not your RAM is causing errors. Run Memtest like oakstave suggested, and post your results.

I could not find the auto restart area of my MOBO at all. I tested my ram with Microsoft's MEM tester cd. at it failed one or 2 test. i had no ideal what they mean? and be for i could check the error records the PC restarted 3 times and cause the drive to become currpted. I have not been able to copy over XP again. I have talked to my IT teacher and he thought it might be bad ram or The PSU. he gave me a old video card to see if i needed a bigger PSU. and a PSU tester. and the tester come up RED meaning it has a over voltage problem. I have not yet tested with the VGA card he gave me to try b/c of the Over Voltage problem. Do you think i should?

Luckly i can send my PSU in still and get it replaced.

Also the only other trouble shooting have done was that i have notice that the only time the system restarts is when i draw alot of power. when the computer "reves up" and goes to speed up to handle the task at hand. I was trying to install Nero 8 Ult. and it went to install and the pc went to speed up to handle the task and it rebooted.

????

If you failed the memory test, that's all you need to know. The type of errors don't matter, any errors are bad. Pull out all but 1 stick of ram and test that. If that comes up clean, try the next stick by itself and so on...

Yep, what John said. Don't try installing anything until you get the RAM issue sorted out. Find out which stick is bad, and replace it. That's your problem.

I'm glad you figured it out. You're lucky. Software issues are a much bigger pain in the arse IMHO, and RAM is much easier to replace than a PSU.

Ok ty very much. i have come to the ideal that the psu and ram are still cover by newegg so ill just send them both to solve the problems. fix them both in one hit.

That sounds like a BSOD and auto reboot. You usually don't have enough time to read the BSOD when that occurs.

Back