• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One ribbon cable: set jumpers both CS or MS&SL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I just realised my Asus P5K-E/WIFI-AP mobo only has one EIDE connection (PRI_EIDE) and I have one DVD +RW and one HDD 80GB 7200.7 Cuda I need to connect to it. I wasgoing to use rounded cables, but I only have singles. Until I get a dual single rounded cable I will be using a ribbon cable, when I connect both drives on the same cable do I set the drives to CS cable select or if I know what they are gonna be, do I set them as master and slave and plug the ribbon cable in accordingly. IS there a benefit to setting the jumpers to MS and SL at the same time as using the ribbon cable?

M & S on the single ribbon, yes. I was gonna google this cuz I forgot, but the master is the far end right, or whatever. Then M & S jumpers.

The DVD won't get too much use, and the HDD is for storage only, not os boot,. I was gonna make the DVD master; good?

I had to dig out the bucket of old parts to find a dual ribbon with a long enough spread for both DVD and lower HDD suspension mount. How do I tell if they are the right kind ie 80 pins or whatever as opposed to something else?

IS it worth it to stop and get the real (eventually permanent) ones before I proceed?

I don't think you get the whole purpose of using the jumpers ;)
Any device known as 'Master' can be on any of the three connectors of the IDE cable and it will still appear as master. Same for slave. Hell, you could even have the mobo on the middle one and a drive at each end. You want slave to be the higher drive letter and master the lower one. For example Hard drive [C:] Master, DVD Drive [D:] Slave.

ok I went out and bought a $20 "Dynex" cable, 18" dual round, "Ultra ATA100, model DX-C101861." But it says "Three 40-Socket Connectors". The 2 devices I need it for are:

LG GSA-H10N DVD +RW 16x
Data Tranfer Rate: DVD: Max 22,160KB/s, CD: Max 7,200 KB/s

Seagate Baracuda 80GB 7200.7 HDD

while I am checking the whole of the internet for appropriate info, can anyone tell me what the diff is with 40 or 80 wires, and if this is going to apply to either of these 2 components on an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP mobo? Its all I could find locally without making a day of it, and I can take it back if inappropriate.

Last edited:
ok I went out and bought a $20 "Dynex" cable, 18" dual round, "Ultra ATA100, model DX-C101861." But it says "Three 40-Socket Connectors". The 2 devices I need it for are:

LG GSA-H10N DVD +RW 16x
Data Tranfer Rate: DVD: Max 22,160KB/s, CD: Max 7,200 KB/s

Seagate Baracuda 80GB 7200.7 HDD

while I am checking the whole of the internet for appropriate info, can anyone tell me what the diff is with 40 or 80 wires, and if this is going to apply to either of these 2 components on an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP mobo? Its all I could find locally without making a day of it, and I can take it back if inappropriate.
40-socket means 40-pin I'm guessing, which is what a PATA/IDE socket is. 80-pin is needed to run speeds faster than ATA-33, I think, or maybe ATA66. Either way, you want an 80-wire cable to support the speed of the HDD. If you had just the DVD drive, yeah, you could run just a 40-pin and still get full speed from it.

Nothing worse than being a couple of tickies short of a better mode, thats what I always say.

Back