• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Budget Q6600 and 8800GT Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

With my ambients already increasing and spring is surely on its way for us out in SO CAL, I need to switch back to W/Cing. This Quad, and 8800GT put out quite a bit of heat, so here is my setup. I am on a tight budget.

Swiftech Apogee™ Drive 350-85$
D-Tek FuZion GPU Block-50$
Fedco 302 Single Pass radiator-20$
2x138mm Fans, 2 Triple High Speed Fans-Free already Have Them
T-Line for a Res-Free
1/2inch Tubing, 10$

So for about 175$ shipped I get a good solid W/Ced system that will not break the bank.

Sounds good, not sure about the Apogee drive, havent read any reviews on it etc.

Post pics when it's up and running :)

I would get a dual fan rad or a PA160 since you are cooling both gpu and cpu.

as for the tubing... I have only seen the 3/8" apogee drive up here... though you guys down south tend to have more options but since the drive is based off the MCP350 I would suggest making absolutely sure you are unified in your tubing size as this saves a lot of hassle overall

Apogee drive should perform well but it is annoying...
Well I can always run it at 9-10 volts. Also The heater core is very efficient. Plan to make a Shroud which will eliminate the fans dead spot. A Fedco 320 with the right fans and a shroud can come close to most triple radiators. Heatercores are more efficient.

Noisy? Or something else?

The drive by itself is quiet. Though once installed on mobo inside of the case, it spreads vibration making it sound really bad. Anyways that is the kind of situation I experienced.

I know you are on a budget, but I'd probably use separate pump and CPU water block. That way future upgrades will be easier. For only about $25 more (if you shop around), you can get a nice MCP655 pump and Apogee (or D-tek) block. That way you can isolate the pump with rubber washers or use other methods to knock down vibrations and also the 655 pump probably flows better. I'd worry about heat from the pump transfering to the block with that all-in-one unit.

I know you are on a budget, but I'd probably use separate pump and CPU water block. That way future upgrades will be easier. For only about $25 more (if you shop around), you can get a nice MCP655 pump and Apogee (or D-tek) block. That way you can isolate the pump with rubber washers or use other methods to knock down vibrations and also the 655 pump probably flows better. I'd worry about heat from the pump transfering to the block with that all-in-one unit.
Yea you are probably right. Might shop around for a used W/B and make my own mounting plate if need be.

Back