• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile C2D performance vs regular C2D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordz

Registered
Hi all, I cannot seem to find the definitive answer to this question anywhere. I'm sure it's common knowledge but I feel as my laptop runs slower than my desktop with similar specs. Are mobile c2ds equivalent to their regular variants clock for clock?

Thanks guys.

Yes A Core 2 mobile chip clocked at 2.4GHZ will perform almost identically to a desktop part at 2.4GHZ. Now because mobile platforms are more about battery life then sheer performance, the desktop system will have an edge, but not much. 5-10% at the most.

So if thats the case, why are desktops with mobile processors not more abundent? I think I'd prefer the energy savings and reduced heat of a mobile C2D in my desktop.

So if thats the case, why are desktops with mobile processors not more abundent? I think I'd prefer the energy savings and reduced heat of a mobile C2D in my desktop.

Because you are a minority :) 90% of people out there will want the sheer power with reasonable energy usage over a happy medium.

I know I want sheer power for my desktop.

And also the mobile processors are Socket P as opposed to LGA775. They wouldn't work either way.

well if you want a socket p in a desktop form... look at the msi socket p itx motherboard. its $250 or so at logicsupply. the main thing is on desktop there is EIST/C1E states that help reduce power used. i do want the same thing and relise that we are the minotry. im plaing on using said msi board with a T8300 2.4ghz/3mb L2, so $500 for cpu/mobo... not what some people call cheap... whats goona be cool for us minortes is the mobile quad coming soon with a TPD of 45watts or was it 65watts.. YAY!!

Back