• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Improving framerates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samurai7

Registered
Ok, so i had just reformatted my Rig thats in my sig, and reinstalled the basic nescessities and games and i performed a video stress test with Counter-strike: Source, and the first time i had a fps of 95.5, but then just a few moments ago i was having performance issues so i did it again, and now its down to 35.7 fps, does anyone know how to fix this without OC'ing?

could your computer just be overheating? What kind of temps are you getting?

my CPU is running hot for some reason, im getting temps of around 70-74C and thats not with any games or heavy programs running, i recently took off my heatsink and cleaned it out, then I cleaned the thermal paste off the CPU and Heatsink and put a new application, could it be that i didnt do a good job applying it? :bang head

Yeah, that's definitely too hot. My guess is that you're thermal throttling, thus killing your performance. What kind of cooling do you have?

Yeah, that's definitely too hot. My guess is that you're thermal throttling, thus killing your performance. What kind of cooling do you have?

regular fan cooling, i want to switch to water cooing but my case isnt really designed for it, so that'll probably happen with my next rig i build

Yeah, the stock really ain't gonna cut for the P4. Especially if it's a prescott (which I had the displeasure of owning).

If you're skint, get an Arctic Freezer 7 pro (which will be good for a new cpu too), if you're not, get a TRUE.

Yeah, the stock really ain't gonna cut for the P4. Especially if it's a prescott (which I had the displeasure of owning).

If you're skint, get an Arctic Freezer 7 pro (which will be good for a new cpu too), if you're not, get a TRUE.

ah ok hopefully i can get one soon, it sucks not having a job right now >.<

ok so I ran a video stress test again this time with Throttlewatch running in the background and sure enough my CPU is throttleing 100% >.<

are you using onboard sound?

upgrading to a sblive 5.1 or higher should help a little, audiguy 2 or xfi's deffently help :)

it greatly helped with COD 4 on my machine.

gangaskan, it won't help much if the proc is throttling ;)

How much FPS increase did you notice (%?) by adding a sound card??

well yeah, true ;) in COD 4 i'd say i'd get about 30-40 avg fps with my audiguy is there a way to do a net graph on it?

before when i was using onboard HD it would be really, really choppy, almost unplayable at times :p

i am running it at 1680x 1050 with x4 AA i'm sure thats not helping the cause either.

edit: it depends on the map, ones like crossfire are what really kill me :p it bounces between 30-70(inside a building)

Last edited:
lol i just tried to switch out my pentium 4 with a pentium D, then the PC wouldnt boot, so i switched the P4 back in and everything was normal just looked on intels web page, looks like the D915PGN doesnt support the Pentium D, lol also turns out that Intel stopped making and supporting the MoBo in december :bang head

Back