• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT: what can do using 2 monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Apparently you can have two std. screens at the same time. There is 2 outputs on the back of my Evga 8800GT 512 vid card, and using the supplied adaptor I can make both outputs the std. kind suitable for regular tube pooter monitors. Got a couple 17" incl triny and a nice new 19" triny, got o FP yet. Besides the obvious benefit of being able to transform your desk visibly into a set from The Matrix what other benefits are there? A big question I have to ask first is if you can control the content of the two screens seperately i.e have IE on one 19" P95f+B triny monitor, maybe a pic (MSpaint) or vid player (WMP XX) on the other, say 17" triny.

What I am talking about is having permanently 2 screens on my desk purposefully at all times. I think this is great. Will I do it? What can it do?

I am more interseted if I can control the content of 2 seperate monitors individually. What follows was just happy days....

The best playful tool app I ever had wrt vid was with my ATI mach64 4MB. Its specific software included "virtual desktop". Instead of just having one slider for the resolution e.g. 1280x1024, there were 2 sliders. One was the std one that set what the resolution was on for a full screen at a given time. The other was a "virtual" desktop, as if a huge poster cardboard sheet containing an extended "desktop" could be shifted up/down/left/right (using the mouse). Beyond the edges could be other programs open, like IE, OE, AutoCAD, Word, Excel, WinFAX, anything. They could be size-set to the exact full screen size (pinched to ther same res as the slider, larger, or anything in between. Line up was your problem, except when using hotkeys e.g CTRL+5 centerd AutoCAD. Everything was active. The amount of VD wa limited to the size of the second slider, but believe me there was loads of room for at least a half dozen things completely open and usable at the same time. You could also have one program e.g AutoCAD open to the full extent of the virtual desktop, so you could see detail views in one corner (of a .dwg) then mouse pan over to the other corners, or even other programs. Even overlayed. This was freakin AWESOME people!!!

Last edited:
DSC_0028.jpg

I can never go back to having one screen now. I use a program called Ultramon to configure each of my monitors seperately

Wow, what a difference. I don't know how you put up with it before. Did this answer my question(s)?

i love having two montiors, but need cash awhile back and had to see one of my 2007wfps :(

do i win?

comppics003wv3.jpg

lovely photo isn't it? --- ehhh (dust anybody...no?....dust anybody...no?)

Investigate Ultramon, that program kicks butt

Back