• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I register a website name?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I need to setup a company from a project I'm thinking about and I figured a setup a website to go with it. I've never delt with websites before, if I wanted a site to be called www.mywebsite.ie who would I register the name with, what sort of costs would be involved, would I own the name for life or do people usually rent them on a year basis?
Is there an international group that govern this?
I had a few more questions but I've got distracted and forgotten them!! so I'll be back later!

Everyone has their go-to company or whatever for this. I'll tell you mine.

I go to www.1and1.com and buy my domains there. I've had my webspace there since they had a free year deal going back in 03. Price is usually around 6 dollars a year for the domain. You set up an account, and if you have just domains they bill you yearly. If you also have webspace they bill you quarterly for that as well. I have them take directly from my paypal, so this works out perfect for me.

The only real drawback to 1and1 is they have 100mb limits on their databases. That ticks me off, since I run a couple of forums on CMS-based sites (100mb aint **** when you really get traffic moving).

So you can register the name with 1and1 and then either pay for them to host the site itself or host it on your sever at home. but your still only renting the name. right?
How would you buy it outright? Probably very expensive I'm sure.
I was hoping for for a .ie name as I'm in Ireland anyone know any providers of Irish domains?

Network Solutions or any domain registrant, they don't have to be located in Irelend. I don't know if you can buy a name outright, usually you have to pay for a set number of years up front and re-new it when needed. The site can be hosted anywhere in the world, this is simply to register the name - all a domain name does is map the name (you choose) to a public IP address.

For an .ie extension you could go here > http://www.domainregistry.ie/

After looking at the prices I think I'll go with a .com at 1and1. I think I know someone who can get me a good price to actually host the site now I need some software to create the site itself, any ideas for a simple possable free program?

After looking at the prices I think I'll go with a .com at 1and1. I think I know someone who can get me a good price to actually host the site now I need some software to create the site itself, any ideas for a simple possable free program?

I used phpBB2 back in the day, now I use dragonflyCMS, which is based on phpBB2, but has a gallery and several other tweaks added.

If you guys want to use my referral ID to give me a discount on my billing, let me know and I'll PM it to you. I'm not going to spam it here, but if ya wanna help me out I'm not going to tell you no HAHA

Sounds good. I've never even used it, but I've been trying to save a buck here and there lately so figured I'd mention it.

I like 1and1 generally, but like I said the database limit is pretty small IMO.

wish i had seen 1and1 back in september when i had to pay up on my domain... yahoo charges 9.95 a year - blech

hopefully around august/september of this year, i will remember to change hosts. unless yahoo will refund some of the money from not doing a full year?

grs, i recommend you stay away from the big 5, godaddy, 1and1, bluehost, dreamhost, hostgator ... go with the smaller, yet more reliable hosts. A great forum for webhosting in general is webhostingtalk.com, as they have fantastic reviews on almost every webhost out there. They'll also help you figure what type of webhosting you need (shared, vps, clustered, etc).

How are the big companies unreliable?
I want to set up a website to sell and promote my photography so at the moment I don't need anything to too complicated. Page to display images and contact details. In the future I'd like to set it up so users have to log in to view images, and setup so people could pay through paypal.
I'm still thinking about how exactly I want it.

wish i had seen 1and1 back in september when i had to pay up on my domain... yahoo charges 9.95 a year - blech

hopefully around august/september of this year, i will remember to change hosts. unless yahoo will refund some of the money from not doing a full year?

i know, i got my .info for 1 yr at a promo 2.99 rate through godaddy, and they want close to 11 bucks to renew :( i was hoping to stay with my promo rate, but alas i was wrong.

Stay away from network solutions.

If you search the domain there they will lock it down for about 2 weeks so if you want it from another registar you will have to wait 2 weeks which is BS. Also Network solutions is not competitive in the rates they charge for domain registration so stay far away from them.

back when i ran acouple websites i always used ipowerweb for everything. i recommended them to everyone, good company.

Back