• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec 900 side fan? Blow in or out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tanooki

Registered
I've had a few cases with side fans but never with a huge top fan blowing out. Is it better to have the side fan blowing hot air out or cool air in over the videocard?

Mine blows in, not only does the air hit the GPU from the side, it also helps a tad on my heatpipe system / NB on the mobo.

Mine blows in, not only does the air hit the GPU from the side, it also helps a tad on my heatpipe system / NB on the mobo.

Do you have a filter between the fan and the innards? My main concern is dust/hair(I have 4 cats and 2 dogs).

I personally don't have a filter, but it is a good idea. I have 2 dogs and the case does gather dust frequently, but it moves so much air that's to be expected. As long as your case isn't on the floor, it probably won't gather that much dander, but if it is on the floor / your pets are by it alot, go with the filters.

You should dust this case off once a month, if you do that the filters really aren't necessary imo.

I took the whole plastic mounting bracket off and I just have the metal grill there now. The airflow is better for my configuration, BUT I just changed it a little today so I might change it back.

I agree though, blowing inwards with that fan is probably better. And with the PCI case slot protectors being more like another grill the heat will vent out the back.

Can either of you tell me how much air the top fan on your cases puts out? It's freakin' huge, but it seems to put out the least of any fan. And it seems to blow the air sideways out of the vent instead of upwards. When I was buying this case I was expecting a MUCH larger amount of air was going to be moved by that mammoth thing. Is it just mine? It doesn't make noise, and the switch is up all the way, it seems to be "working". My videocard moves more air.:confused:

That fan is huge and IS moving more air, only thing is it doesn't need to move it as fast as a smaller videocard fan. What you're seeing is more air being moved at a slower speed and lower pressure, so if you put your hand over it it feels very faint.

On the opposite end if you blow on your hand you can definitely feel it, but blowing on your heatsink won't work as well as a larger fan.

That fan is huge and IS moving more air, only thing is it doesn't need to move it as fast as a smaller videocard fan. What you're seeing is more air being moved at a slower speed and lower pressure, so if you put your hand over it it feels very faint.

On the opposite end if you blow on your hand you can definitely feel it, but blowing on your heatsink won't work as well as a larger fan.

I get what your saying. I just thought they would give it more power.

It's like comparing a drinking straw to a paper towel tube. Blow through the straw and you'll get concentrated pressure. Blow through the tube and you get considerably less pressure, but more air mass will move through it at a faster rate. Lung power being voltage I guess.....:)

I had this debate while back settin up my machine.

Since I have a mobo that uses the "passive cooling" via copper pipes, and will be using a GPU card that I will over clock. It would be best to have it as an intake. Most cases it would be best to use and intake...cause with exhaust you're possible the set up could create a "deadzone" for cool air around that area...like taking away cool flow that would aimed for da chip and or memory.

I've had a few cases with side fans but never with a huge top fan blowing out. Is it better to have the side fan blowing hot air out or cool air in over the videocard?

Yeah, have it blowing in. And get a Panaflo or Delta. They might not look pretty, but they MOVE air!

I have mine blowing in...my mother board uses passive heatsinks on NB and so I need the side air blowing on the NB sinks and my 8800GTS w/Zalman cooler on it likes the cool outside blowing on it.

My 8800GTS never goes above 50C even after hours of COD4 or Crysis.

top 200 out, side 120 in, 2x120 front in, 120 back in.

mine blows out, it seriously takes my 8800gtx from 70C load, to 60C load. Cool huh :santa:

I have mine back to normal now and blowing inwards. Replaced some of my old fans with some Delta fans. Yowzers do those things blow air!!!! I'm gonna have to dust inside my case once a week now!

i dont like delta fans... the best 120mm in my opinions is the scythe slip stream,,, the middle part is smaller sp they move alot of air for the noise..

Inwards, helps cool the mobo, especially if you have an upright CPU heatsink (ie: TRUE) which blows out and not down. And, you got a 200mm fan ontop for exhaust, you don't really need much more than that :p

-Mobious-

i dont like delta fans... the best 120mm in my opinions is the scythe slip stream,,, the middle part is smaller sp they move alot of air for the noise..

Wait, you don't like Delta fans that move like 158cfm compared to the 68cfm of the Scythe? Ok. I guess it's product loyalty.

Wait, you don't like Delta fans that move like 158cfm compared to the 68cfm of the Scythe? Ok. I guess it's product loyalty.

68cfm is alot for any case fan, and at ~25DBa they're killer. The delta's fine if you can stand the noise.

I also vote inward, theres not much that puts out heat twoards the side panel, heat rises so the top fan will evacuate most of the hot air, so have it blowin in onto the NB mosfets etc...

And i personally reccommend the Scythe slipstream fans

If you want to cool your pc this is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12gf.html
bwaahahahahahaha, I got 2 of them!!!!!!!!!!

RAWR!!! STOP I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE I WANT ONE BUT I'M TO POOR RIGHT NOW AND HAVE 2 lol

on another note yeah guy have them all blowing in and let it all exhaust out the top like it was intended(hot air is only going one direction). and buy two of them deltas. that extra jet of air coming in at your MOBO will help keep things nice a chilly.

Best of luck

Back