• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling the confirmation boxes in Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

There were some threads about disabling those annoying boxes that pop up like a million times asking you are you sure, you're sure, that you're sure you want to do this, but I can't find them & they are driving me nuts.lol

I vaguely remember it being in the security area somewhere but I cant' remember for sure. Please help me.lol

thanks...

UAC - User Account Control.

stupidest thing M$ could have done. Reason enough for me not to buy Vista!

Actually the concept isn't bad, but until they can get the software writers to go along with it, it is annying and just training people to click yes to anything that pops up.

UAC - User Account Control.

stupidest thing M$ could have done. Reason enough for me not to buy Vista!

In theroy I think it's a good thing, for the common computer stupid person, kind of a verification so they don't go & accidently delete their Windows Directory or some such.lol (I know that wouldn't happen just an example)

But yeah easiest enough to disable & makes my Vista life much happier.lol I just really wish I had 64bit Vista.

Instead of disabling UAC completely, you can disable the UAC prompts and still retain UAC security (like Protected Mode in IE) by merging the following registry edit...
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

The default Value data for the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin DWORD is 2, which results in the darkened screen and UAC pop-up to verify consent before proceeding.

Actually the concept isn't bad, but until they can get the software writers to go along with it, it is annying and just training people to click yes to anything that pops up.

Its a STUPID idea. Its a half arsed way to go about it. Putting the responsibility completly on the user is NOT the way it should have ever been done. It was a slack move by M$.

I'm not saying i could have done better, but they should have been able too!

[rant] And then to have that bloody warning popup in the tray when you disable UAC! OF COURSE I WANTED IT DISABLED! I DISBLED IT! it means i have to turn off the warning prompts so now i don't get a warning if anything else goes wrong! FFS! [/rant]

And then to have that bloody warning popup in the tray when you disable UAC! OF COURSE I WANTED IT DISABLED! I DISBLED IT! it means i have to turn off the warning prompts so now i don't get a warning if anything else goes wrong! FFS!
For what it's worth, you can disable only the UAC pop-up without disabling the Security Center notifications altogether. Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Security Center

Create the following DWORD Value name in the RH pane: UacDisableNotify, w/ a value of 1. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect.

Last edited:
there is no run anymore, only searches :p

but yeah probably one of the most annoying things in vista. good thing its a one time only fix. that and having to remember to right click run as admin x.O

there is no run anymore, only searches :p

but yeah probably one of the most annoying things in vista. good thing its a one time only fix. that and having to remember to right click run as admin x.O

Just type cmd, mmc, \\networkpath\, etc in the search box. same functionality.

For what it's worth, you can disable only the UAC pop-up without disabling the Security Center notifications altogether. Start | Run | Type regedit, and click OK | Expand the following branch...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Security Center

Create the following DWORD Value name in the RH pane: UacDisableNotify, w/ a value of 1. You'll need to reboot for the change to take effect.

For some reason this did not work for me, even after the reboot.

Instead of disabling UAC completely, you can disable the UAC prompts and still retain UAC security (like Protected Mode in IE) by merging the following registry edit...
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

The default Value data for the ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin DWORD is 2, which results in the darkened screen and UAC pop-up to verify consent before proceeding.

This however did work for me, without a restart too.
I'm using Vista Business with specs listed in my signature.

Back