• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a noisey PSU a worry ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buckster

Registered
I have a Tagan U22 Dual-engine - 700W

20A for 4 12V rails ...

under normal operation fine .. but in 3d mode where GFX requires a large load it becomes very noisey

with a 8800GTS it made a noise like a siren - see this youtube for type of noise

that was with ATI Tool, with games it made a quietish chirping

with a 3870x2 it doesn't make that siren noise, but it makes quite a load chirping noise, like a fan with dodgey bearings, you can hear it over all the case fans etc.

now I've heard that either

(1) its a sign the PSU is being over-loaded - therefore time to get a new PSU before it goes pop

(2) its just the design of the switched mode PSU - the noise is annoying but normal

any ideas please ? changing the PSU is about £120 so its not a small amount of money -but if I have to I'll do it.

cheers, Mark.

Weird!

I would think it might be inductor noise, but that is usually a constant sound. It almost behaves like some sort of resonating interference. This is a first for me. I wonder, does the fan spin up higher under load, or is it a constant rate?

hi thanks for reply

it is weird it realy is - the siren (I thought i'd trud on one of my sons toys !) - was with my GTS. The chirpiing sounds like a loud fluttering like something turning on and off very quickly.

a friend suggested it could be "chopping" noise from the Switched mode design - but I'm not sure what that should sound like !

seems to be stable, just don't want it to keel over one day and take out the rest of my PC !

I'm pretty sure the fan doesn't spin up - whatever is chirpiing it's not the fan

ps youtube video is not mine - but exact same noise mine made with the GTS

I can RMA - but since RMAs always take a few weeks at best - I'd have to get another PSU in the meanwhile

I would RMA if you can't find a solution in the next few days. Let them know exactly what the problem is, maybe the engineers will be interested if this starts to become a real issue.

If it was out of warranty I would say let's open it up (carefully) and see what the capacitors look like, ie. bulging etc. However if you can RMA then don't sweat it.

They may say it's fine, but I still wouldn't want to use it. I don't care if it nets me an extra 100 watts, I STILL wouldn't want to use it. That's annoying!

thanks very much :) - I'll RMA it - and choose a new PSU in the meanwhile ...

not sure what to choose yet :)

thanks very much :) - I'll RMA it - and choose a new PSU in the meanwhile ...

not sure what to choose yet :)
Corsair HW520 or HX620 are recommended power supplies around here ;)

Modular, solid, quiet, cheap.

thanks :) modular would certainly be a bonus ! even with a cavernous case like the Elcipse 62 I have - hiding all the current PSU cables is a right pain !

would the HX620 be enough for

Q6600 @ 1.5Vcore
4 gig RAM
3xHDDs
3870x2

or should I be looking more at 900W rated PSUs, Corsair, etc ?

thanks :) modular would certainly be a bonus ! even with a cavernous case like the Elcipse 62 I have - hiding all the current PSU cables is a right pain !

would the HX620 be enough for

Q6600 @ 1.5Vcore
4 gig RAM
3xHDDs
3870x2

or should I be looking more at 900W rated PSUs, Corsair, etc ?
I run about that much on mine, it hasn't flinched yet. Not sure what the power draw on your video card is compared to mine since I'm overclocked heavily (and I don't know ATI that well). Also, add a 7800gt to the mix that I just put on.

:sn: edit: Comparing your specs to mine, I'd say we would be about even on wattage if I am guessing the GPU power draw correctly.

thanks guys

I'm tempted to get one of the Thermaltakess or Corsairs after reading up more now

what do people reckon?

TX750 @ 90 pounds
Thermaltake Toughpower 850 @ 100 pounds (not sure it has a 8 pin PCI-E Power conn though ?)
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200 (cheaper than 1000 in the UK) @ 145 pounds (which definately seems to have 8 pin PCI-E power)

?

cheers, Mark.

actually HX series would be better for me - much difference between HX and TX quality wise? (would prefer modular so as to not hide lots of cables)

and am I right in thinking the Corsairs don't come with a 8 pin PCI-E power cable :( ? I have a 3870x2 that I'd like to overclock in the future.

yes 300$ does seem overkill for a PSU !!!

And the TX750 and HX620 are good PSU's one's built be SeaSonic the other by Chennel Well Tech.

Back