• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea on new rig, what do you guys think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imnotplutonium

After the recent events leading up to my rigs demise. I am looking into a much more portable yet powerful solution.

Apple MacBook Pro 2.2ghz.

I plan on getting some crucial or g. skill ram (4gb kit) to add onto it. I will run xp on a virtual machine so I can still use all of my windows progs. like tunebite etc.

Through the education store with apple it will come out to just under $2k before the ram upgrade. Eventually I will get apple's N-router and backup machine (time capsule) and I feel this will be a very reliable and portable solution. With going to school and having my family and g/f in other cities I feel this would work out great for the next couple of years until I can build a new desktop. By then I am sure my laptop will be outdated anyway right? lol

That sounds like a lot to me. You can get a Dell or HP for a lot less and have a good gaming chip with it.

I would look into those options before you buy.

No need for virtual machines, Intel Macs have bootcamp which allows you to run mac and OSX.

right but for the ease I would do a virtual machine. I will probably not run too many graphic-intense programs or anything too demanding through the virtual machine.

i'll look into dell but for power and plain style the macbook pro is nice

Back