• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 OEM vs Retail

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My q6600 is a oem and all that with it was itself in a plastic container from clubit. Plus the other difference between the retail and the oem is 3 yr warranty on the retail vs one yr warranty on the oem.

As a side note, i'd add, if you intend to overclock it, the warranty means nothing anyway as it would be void after doing so.

As a side note, i'd add, if you intend to overclock it, the warranty means nothing anyway as it would be void after doing so.

How would they know that you overclocked it. Wouldn't they just test to see if the cpu worked? How will they tell the difference from the chip just giving in by itself..?

Well I'm not schooled in such ways, however, I'm fairly certain that they can tell. Everywhere you read a warranty on an Overclockable chip, mb, etc. the warranty always clearly states that its void in the case of overclocking.

Two built in micro controllers. One for voltage, the other for FSB speed. For what it's worth in all the time I've been on this forum I've not seen anyone kill a CPU just in overclocking. Some may have been damaged when heatsinks fail but I've not seen it reported as such. No MOBOs, we've probably filled a landfill somewhere.

I think it all boils down to no matter how careful you are, you are reducing the life of the chip by putting it under greater heat and stress. No company would warranty thier product once it was mechanically altered by someone else.

P.S. This forum also has the advantage of having many very experienced, intelligent, overclockers.

Back