• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB OVERCLOCKING HELP PLEASE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

light

Registered
hope you guys can help.

i have just upgraded my system

quad core 6600 cpu, 8800 gfx card, asus p5k premium mobo, and 4 gig corsair ram.

while i am happy with the system i would like to get my ram running faster without overclocking the rest of my system. or atleast overclocking the rest as little as possible.

can u tell me is there away to o/c just my ram. or to get my ram running faster.

my ram timings are 4.4.4.12 stock but when i put them on this board they go to 5.5.5.15 so i have to go in the bios to get them back to 4.4.4.12. apart from that the whole system is running standard

any help would be great thx

The behavior you describe with the memory timings isn't that unusual. I often do it manual without even noting the result from the auto settings.

To overclock the RAM alone there should be a setting in the bios that'll adjust the memory ratio (or it might be called memory frequency in your bios). I'm not familiar with your motherboard so can't tell you the procedure to get to the setting but increasing the ratio will overclock the memory.

While you can overclock the memory and gain some performance, memory overclock alone doesn't buy you much performace (maybe a percent or two). The major gain will be realized with an overclock of the CPU using the FSB.

Back