• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600GT benchmarks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
HD3850 / HD3870 just got owned in the face if the card is cheaper than those two, which it most likely will be.

Two of those in an SLI would be pretty tasty, too bad nvidia is being lame about SLI and monopolizing it to their boards.

Edit - Ty for the link Evilsizer :)

I've heard $120.. If true, you are right, ATI is screwed..

Not only is ATI screwed, Nvidia will clean up if they have well-written SLI drivers for all the new 9xxx cards. People will be buying 780i and 790i all over the place, especially if their new 9800x2 card does well and ATI takes forever getting quadfire support up.

Not only is ATI screwed, Nvidia will clean up if they have well-written SLI drivers for all the new 9xxx cards. People will be buying 780i and 790i all over the place, especially if their new 9800x2 card does well and ATI takes forever getting quadfire support up.

Now that you mention it, these things in SLI are going to slaughter the 8800GT and GTS for less money as well, *if* the price I heard is right. If they cost $175 or so, all bets are off.

Personally I don't care about SLI - I called EVGA and told them my situation: step up expires around March 9th, the 9800GX2 isn't coming out for a little while after that, so should I step up to a GTS-512, or what?

The guy told me it wouldn't be a problem, and to wait for the 9800GX2, they would take care of me. Yay. I do hope the driver situation is better than 7950GX2, though..

Techno - This card is slotted to perform similarily to the HD3850/70 so it should be somewhere under those cards or around those cards. Plus if this card starts doing too well, ATI might drop the prices on the HD3870/3850 so that will be nice.

Ratbuddy - I'd just keep the 8800GT until you can get a hold of a 9800GX2, the performance difference between the 8800GT and the 8800GTS isn't THAT much. IMO just waiting for the RMA process isn't even worth going from 8800GT -> 8800GTS, but thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
pretty impressive for the price for sure!
I wonder how bad a p4 will bottle neck a 9800gx2, I might never have to upgrade my computer!

G92 Core -

chip_compare_g92.jpg

G94 Core -

chip_compare_g94.jpg

Though the angles are just SLIGHTLY off, you can clearly see that the new G94 is a smaller die - that means money savings for NVIDIA and of course the likely results of there being fewer SPs hidden inside. Those of you used to "unlocking" pipes on GPUs are going to be SOL here.

Link - http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=5022

Last edited:
Here's some pics of the card for some reference.

gal96gt_05s.JPG

(It's really thick with the Galaxy Cooler)
Galaxy have opted to use their own design cooler which manages not only to take up the whole front of the card but also requiring two PCI slots due to its extra thickness.

gal96gtgpuz.jpg gal96gtgpuz.jpg It's stock clocks are:
(CORE / MEM / SHADER)
(675 / 1000 / 1625)

To my knowledge, this is the first low costing card to include a shader clock.

Last edited:
I have DDR2 thank you very much!
Well it may be bottlenecking but the only game I can tell its affecting currently is crysis. Other than that, all other games on max settings is running sweeet.

But yes I do plan on upgrading when the new processor architectures come out in late 2008 or start 09.

So we have 9600GT ~ old 8800GTS, if we compare to an older card.
Yah for revival of the good -600GTs!

G92 Core -

chip_compare_g92.jpg

G94 Core -

chip_compare_g94.jpg

Though the angles are just SLIGHTLY off, you can clearly see that the new G94 is a smaller die - that means money savings for NVIDIA and of course the likely results of there being fewer SPs hidden inside. Those of you used to "unlocking" pipes on GPUs are going to be SOL here.

Link - http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=5022

Where did you get that bigger quarter?

--pak

AMD is once again under big pressure, if this card comes in anything close to the price of the 3850 then their sales of the 3870/50 will certainly be adversely affected. Great for us customers :)

Back