• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot overclock as high as before

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newguy123

I have a AMD Tbird 1.4ghz cpu with a Abit KG7 Raid mobo water cooled full load at 26C. When i first got the chip i used to be able to overclock it to 1.6ghz with eaz. So i decided to do the voltage mod to the mobo. I did the voltage mod and it was success i booted the computer upped the voltage and it went up to 2.1vcore. So when i tryed to overclock at that vcore i couldnt get anything past 1.5ghz. No matter what i did windows didnt wanna boot. So i desoldered one ends of the voltage mod to see if that could have been the problem and i still get the same results i cannot get the computer to boot past 1.5 ghz. And before the mod i used to get 1.6ghz easy. Whats wrong with it?

Thanks for any information

Newguy123

You know, if that was me, I'd pull off the HSF and make sure all that high wattage overclocking didn't cook the thermal compound a little too dry. Core temperature is a big factor in how high you can OC.

73, Hoot

Or it could just be your power supply as well. what PSU to u have? what are the 5V line???

Whats the 5v line reading?

A lot of people have trouble with Athlons when the 5v line goes below 4.8v. Me being one of them! I replaced my weak psus with new ones and have 5v readings of 4.95 to 5.05 most of the time-and no stability problems.

I have water cooling so it shouldnt really get that hot behind the water block. As for the power supply i have a 400watt power supply.

Newguy123

Well.. I dont know much about 'Motherboard Mods'

But could that have Jumped to much power to the CPU and is slowly frying?

Ontop of all of that..

What kind of 400 Watt Powersupply do you have, IT doesnt matter if it was 5000 watts, The powersupply could be bad PERIOD.

I dont do 'Voltage Mods' To my Motherboard, I dont like to tinker with my EPOX 8kha

Meh Rig

EPOX 8KHA
384mb of pc2100 DDR Kingston
1.6 Athlon @ 1.8 XP
Stock 4600 RPM Fan (109 Idle) (113 Load) Putting Delta on
GeForce2 PRO 64mb DDR Z81 Starforce MSI
Netgear 10/100
Diamond 56k Modem (MAybe its Creative)
46.1 GB 7200 RPM IBM Deskstar W/ 20gb Seagate 5400 RPM
19' Flat Enivision Monitor
Windows XP
330 Watt Enermax Powersupply (I love it)
Soundblaster Live 5.1
3 Case fans
Antec Case

Going to be 2nd Rig

1.4 Athlon Thunderbird
ECS K7VTA3
128mb of pc2100 ddr ram (temp)
20gb seagate 5400 rpm (Taking out of main rig)
GeForce2 MX200 Inno3d 64mb (i know..)
Netgear nic (2)
Windows 2000 Professional Server
Soundblaster Live 5.1

All puchased off of Newegg.Com - Great store, Awesome shipping prices.

Also, You may wanna check Www.Directron.Com (Nice Case's, Window Kits, Etc)

I may make a 700 p3 server, with 2gbs of ram..
Socket370

Im thinking of...

Tower Case
700 p3 @ 900 p3 (DragonOrb3) W/ 2 Deltas over it
2 Exhaust Fans
Abit Motherboard (If they make them in SOCKET370)
It would be a FTP Server.
Recommendations to it..

Death to AT&T Broadband

Have you checked that the problem is not caused by some other part of the system. I mean if you lower the multiplier (to 10 or so) can you then raise the fsb as before?

Back