• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EA & Some Believe A New Next Gen War Is 2010

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/analyst-next-next-gen-coming-in-2010/

They reckon Nintendo & Microsoft will release another newer console in 2010 and EA think the same http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6185976.html John Riccitiello predicts next XBOX & Wii.

Now if they maybe true on 360's part I can't see it been a totally new console but maybe a redesign and a move around of parts. For a start the GPU needs to moved from under the DVD-ROM drive thats if they put in a HD-DVD drive instead. Also a complete new copper heatsink and better fans quiet ones is a much welcome boost to as for Wii what could they possibly change. Maybe bigger storage space instead of the 512mb you get with it I am sure some people how there have filled the internal memory.

Also the weeks gaming round-up is here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/18/xbox-360-opus-valhalla-revealed

XBOX 360 has some interesting news on new motherboards coming, Wii sold well again & someone has created a Time Machine Firmware to fix broken PSP's with a failed firmware flash to work again.

Nintendo will not have a 3 year life cycle on the Wii, bank on that.

Microsoft, MAY come up with a new system after 5 years into the 360 lifecycle, we'll see but I'd be skeptical. Again as MS said they will NEVER put a HD-DVD drive into the 360 and especially not now that HD-DVD is dead.

Microsoft, MAY come up with a new system after 5 years into the 360 lifecycle, we'll see but I'd be skeptical. Again as MS said they will NEVER put a HD-DVD drive into the 360 and especially not now that HD-DVD is dead.

Agreed. and from what i see, i don't see the Wii being a long-term console. I see it as a money making stepping stone. a system where they make a TON of cash ( as they have done ), and then they slam that money into R&D and pump out a HIGHLY powered console that beats out the 360 and PS3 way before Sony or Microsoft can get a new console out.

maybe i'm wrong, but that seems like a logical choice for the Nintendo. since we all have seen what happens when you put a console out earlier than other consoles ( such as the 360's popularity vs. Ps3's. largely due to their full year head start ).

i guess we will wait and see.

yah you wont see a new playstation for a good 10 years either, the need to make the money back that they have been losing.

The Wii will be around for a while. Nintendo is in it for making money, thats what they do, and do it pretty darn well. What I see happening, is Nintendo having two consoles. The Wii will be dropped in price, and keep its party imagine, and Nintendo will come up with a system that truly is next gen with HD and everything, but only when majority of the consumers have HD televisions. Nintendo will ride the Wii train for as long as it can, people are still buying them, Mario Galaxy has sold nearly as many copies as gears of war. When SSB:B comes out, you will not be able to find one.

I mean look even with the gamecube, Nintendo made a profit. The Wii will be around a while, its just a question if Nintendo puts another console out at the same time, or what exactly they do.

I actually see Nintendo using all this cash to come up with some more crazy revolutionary designs, like a new Virtual Boy, or a true 3d system or something like that. Nintendo has always had their money maker, and then their experiments, most of which flop, but always lead to something later down the road.

I could see nintendo releasing an alternative console in the future, similiar to how it's ran it's GBA Micro with the DS for quite some time.

Nintendo isn't in the graphics business which is why the Wii will last. I mean the graphics and sound on the DS are barely 16 bit quality and it is ruling the market over the graphics and feature rich PSP. The Wii will be around at least 5 years which will put it at 2011/2012 before its' life cycle has ended.

Getting back into the hardcore market would be a bad move for Nintendo, but there is no reason why they couldn't release a future console which appealed to both casual and hardcore gamers. They could keep the price attractive to the masses with a stripped down SKU and similar games and features to the Wii while putting in a decently powered CPU/GPU to allow for full featured ports of all the big 3rd party titles.

Yeah, I have a wii and a ps3. I havent touched the wii for over a month because I only have 5 games for it. It's the same story with the ps3 but sony have more than just a gimmiky novelty that the wii is. I'm hoping that the next nintendo console will be aimed more at the hardcore gamer market.

I don't think any of the three are going to be ready for a new machine for quite a bit. Other than the fact that hardware has drastically changed (multi-core isn't even an expensive option anymore) each company has no reason to have a new console. I'd say Nintendo may have been on the quickest track to put out a new console, until the unbelievable success of the Wii they are going to ride tat gravy train as long as possible. They are making money on software and a the console. They wouldn't run duel consoles because of their poor third party support. Nintendo is the only one putting out good games on the Wii...they couldn't juggle another box.

360 is sitting pretty, it's doing great in the US, PS3 has yet to really start making anything that looks any better than the 360 In Japan sales are weak but thats a brand/culture thing not an under the hood problem.

PS3 is starting to get a foothold, but Sony is in no position to make a new console, they've lost too much money so far. At this point they are going to play the longest product run out of all of them. With the format war leaning in their favor they'll pitch the Blu-ray angle to sell more units.

Yeah, I have a wii and a ps3. I havent touched the wii for over a month because I only have 5 games for it. It's the same story with the ps3 but sony have more than just a gimmiky novelty that the wii is. I'm hoping that the next nintendo console will be aimed more at the hardcore gamer market.

If it's aimed primarily at the hardcore market that might spell disaster for Nintendo, the key is to keep tapping into the market which they have opened up whilst paying a bit more attention to us, the minority of gaming nuts.

..... I mean the graphics and sound on the DS are barely 16 bit quality......

WOAH woah woah!

have you played a snes or genesis lately?
sure alot of hte games are wierdo sprite driven trial games but the DS can handle 3D quite well considering what it is.

i would put it at more of a PSX/Saturn level of 3d, funky textures but 3d none the less

Nintendo doesn't care about the hardcore gamer market, they haven't since the N64. They are happy with Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda and all those 3rd party games. They're happy receiving their Sega games and the occasional game from Akklaim, EA, Capcom or Activision. Nintendo could care less if Rainbow 6, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto or whatever hot game of the moment is out at the moment is on their system. They cater to the masses not to the niche hardcore gamers.

WOAH woah woah!

have you played a snes or genesis lately?
sure alot of hte games are wierdo sprite driven trial games but the DS can handle 3D quite well considering what it is.

i would put it at more of a PSX/Saturn level of 3d, funky textures but 3d none the less

I guess when you say 3D, you're probably referring to the SMB64 port? Most of the games I've played are on the 16-bit level ie: CastleVania, SMB, StarFox, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton etc...

edit: Maybe I was a bit hard on it, the FAQS say that it is on par with the N64 graphics wise but has better texturing. If that is indeed the case then I haven't really played any games I would consider on the level of say Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire or Conker64 or even Clayfighter64....... SMB64 is pretty much it as far as I've seen.

Nintendo gave up on making high powered consoles. They are focused on community/family gaming and care little for graphics, etc.

EA shouldn't care anyways. They publish equally sucky sports games for all consoles. It must be nice to have a monopoly on NFL licensing.

In either case, the Wii will be my last console :( (Already sold my DC, PS2 and older ones).

Time to Grow Up!

So if you like games you're a child? **** no! I'm 32 and games and movies are a PERFECT outlet for me to allow myself a few hours of escapism amongst my dearth of responsibilities. Games and movies are what keeps me from killing myself or tons of other people (take THAT, Jack Thompson).

So if you like games you're a child? **** no! I'm 32 and games and movies are a PERFECT outlet for me to allow myself a few hours of escapism amongst my dearth of responsibilities. Games and movies are what keeps me from killing myself or tons of other people (take THAT, Jack Thompson).

I would never assume that playing games is a child's pass time. It's a great form of entertainment and an outlet for creativity. Unfortunately for me, games will get in the way of my goals after graduation, so "time to grow up," is just another way of saying "they will only interfere with what I have in mind."

At this point I really think that MS HAS to come out with a new console in the next 3-5 years. I think from this point out, the Xbox 360 will continue to loose ground while the PS3 gains ground. 1080p is the future and I doubt, MS will be able to fit full 1080P games on a double-layer DVD. I would really like to see next gen consoles get bigger, almost to the point of PC size. That way cooling and expensive hardware (desktop HD instead of a Laptop HD) won't be as much of a problem.

Bring on an Xbox with:
  • 1080P output (all games)
  • at least a 4x blu-ray drive
  • 500Gb HD
  • THE ABILITY TO USE A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE TO PLAY GAMES!!!!!

At this point I really think that MS HAS to come out with a new console in the next 3-5 years. I think from this point out, the Xbox 360 will continue to loose ground while the PS3 gains ground. 1080p is the future and I doubt, MS will be able to fit full 1080P games on a double-layer DVD. I would really like to see next gen consoles get bigger, almost to the point of PC size. That way cooling and expensive hardware (desktop HD instead of a Laptop HD) won't be as much of a problem.

Bring on an Xbox with:
  • 1080P output (all games)
    doable now, even most PS3 games are 720p
  • at least a 4x blu-ray drive
    doable when prices drop
  • 500Gb HD
    doable now
  • THE ABILITY TO USE A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE TO PLAY GAMES!!!!!
doable now on both ps3 and 360, just up to the programmers to program in support

So much for the MUST list :shrug:

Back